Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Can't Save Custom Object :/

Anonymous
Not applicable
So I made this custom window out of slabs as everyone suggested, however when I go to save it under libraries and objects, there is no option to save it! Is it because I am using an 'educational version'?

If that's the case, does someone want to save it for me?
8 REPLIES 8
Eduardo Rolon
EDU version does not have any limitations so that shouldn't be it. Your menu looks different than mine so it could be that you imported it from a previous release?

Can you go "Options-> Work Environment -> Menus…" and select under 'Command Layout" -> Standard Commands AC17 and try again?

-----
Or you can try saving the object from the 3D Window?

-----

I don't have access to my EDU version at this time so I can't try to reproduce the error.

----
From the Wiki
Educational (EDU) License
Education versions can be installed only with a serial number.
Registration A serial number can be obtained by registering at https://www.myarchicad.com/. The first step of registration gives you a personal temporary serial number and a download link. The process at this level is completely automatic, so you will receive your serial number and the link immediately after you register. This temporary serial number will give you 30-days usage. At the end of the second step you will receive your personal final serial number that allows you to run ArchiCAD for one year (and can be renewed free of charge after expiration). This part of the process involves an “approval” stage, which will be handled by Graphisoft's local representative.
File Format and Compatibility EDU and commercial project files will have the same file format (.PLN), but EDU files have an irremovable logo at the top right corner. This logo will be present on all printouts. EDU project files can be opened with a commercial version of ArchiCAD, in which case ArchiCAD switches to EDU mode and the logo will be present. Commercial project files can be opened with an EDU version of ArchiCAD. In this case the logo is added, and cannot be removed later. Saving in the EDU version will prevent the file from opening in the Commercial mode. Besides 'Open', no other data exchange (copy, paste, merge, hotlink…) is allowed between EDU and commercial project files.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks! Adjusting the Work Environment fixed the problem!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok so I still got it to save but it comes in all wrong and not at all like what I drew. Any expert want to save it for me?
Eduardo Rolon
screenshots?
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Despite saving it as a window file and making it out of slabs, when placed its and object, basically looks as if I drew it out of lines, doesn't insert into walls or anything.

Here is the link to the actual file:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i0qkle5j3sm9sx8/AACrUJE6uJeLkyju6UiuE0_ra
ARCHED WINDOW.jpg
Eduardo Rolon
There are some newbie errors but the main one is that you assigned the ID "WALLHOLE" to all the slabs. The Help Center instructions indicate that after you draw the window or door with slabs and walls, then create a NEW slab with the window/door shape and assign the "WALLHOLE" ID to that one

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/guides/archicad-17-int-reference-guide/virtual-building/parametric-...
Using the Slab or Roof tool, create another element whose contour matches the outer contour of the desired wall hole or wall niche.
Since you assigned Wallhole to all the Slabs AC was creating an object that is invisible.

-----
Also to align the window to the middle of the wall you should align the elements in section to match what is needed. If the wall is 8" deep then the wallhole slab should be 8" also and the position of the other elements should be in the center of the wall (see other screenshot) This might be unnecessary but that is the way I am used to doing it.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Eduardo Rolon
section view and link to the file on Dropbox which I will remove later

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1715445/2014-06-02%20Window%20FILE.pln
Screen Shot 2014-06-02 at 9.27.49 AM.png
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator