Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Can't join columns and beams with complex profiles

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've been trying to make a door frame with a custom complex profile, but the corners aren't connecting because the vertical part is a column, and the horizontal part is a beam.

I've been trying to figure out if maybe i could make a vertical beam, or a horizontal column so the two parts of the frame would be the same type of element, but there seems to be no way of doing this.

^Seperated
5 REPLIES 5
Barry Kelly
No, unfortunately you currently can't do this in Archicad.
It will be a different story in version 23 though as you can adjust the end angle of beams and columns.

You could add a zero thickness roof plane at 45° and then Solid Element Operation the corners and then hide the roof in a hidden layer.

But I would look into the Morph tool.
You can create a morph with the same profile as you architrave and then 'tube' the end surface around the door.

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/user-guide/76646/

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there any way to make a morph surface as a copy of an existing profile, or do i have to draw the profile again?

What if i want to change the profile later? Do i then have to make all of the morphs over again? There's a lot of door frames in the house I'm drawing, it would be a real pain if that was the case.
Barry Kelly
The easiest way would be to place a small profile column and then convert it into a morph.
Then just tube the end surface.

Or you could copy the fill from the profile editor, paste it in plan and magic wand a morph to it.

Unfortunately editing the profile of the morph after it is tubed is very awkward.
You are better off deleting and doing it again.

Shells are another option as these can be rotated around the frame and the ends can be mitred.
The profile of a shell can be edited, but you need to do it for each length of the architrave (top and sides of your frame).
It is a shame that shells can't use a complex profile.

I am not sure if there are any objects in the default library for an architrave that will allow you to select custom profile - or maybe the default doors/windows have an option?
I don't use the GS library so I don't know without investigating it.

It is possible to create an object if you are handy with GDL scripting.
The company I work for has an architrave object that has pre-set profiles and our doors/windows actually have the architraves built-in.
Sorry I can't share these objects.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Lingwisyer
Guru
Barry wrote:
It is possible to create an object if you are handy with GDL scripting.

That's a thought. Should be pretty easy too if the plan is to just keep it to the use mentioned in this thread. You could probably even copy most of the Tube with Profile example object.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Barry Kelly
Lingwisyer wrote:
You could probably even copy most of the Tube with Profile example object.
This is the object (in ZIP format - I am one that does not use RAR files) ...

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/download/file.php?id=33230

And here is a post it was mentioned in ...

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=56819

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27