BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Canted wall w/ window workaround

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello, I've looked at suggestions made for creating windows in canted walls and I'm having trouble getting the correct results.

Originally, I used a canted wall and found that it's reference wall's windows were only appearing as openings.. So then I copied the reference wall and saved it as a GDL, went into the 3d script and added the cant angle to ROTX. There are two prompts for ROTX, so I tried adding the angle to both. What I end up with is a perpendicular wall w/ a canted window....exactly the opposite problem of what I started out with, and still not right. Any advice for me? I'm new to this GDL stuff... perhaps I'm modifying the wrong line in the script?
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable
Provide some screens, files, etc.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm posting pdfs of the 3D script, where I added the rotation angle of 93.7.

also, the resulting model... a straight wall w/ a canted window.

and an image of the condition that I'm working with.

But it seems like I'm only able to post one attachment at a time.

Thanks,
Anonymous
Not applicable
the entry of the window inclination in the 3D script...
Anonymous
Not applicable
the resulting model...
Anonymous
Not applicable
the condition in question...
So far, it's been modeled using the canted wall in Wall Accessories. But the windows from the reference wall do not show up.
gerd
Newcomer
jackie wrote:
the condition in question...
So far, it's been modeled using the canted wall in Wall Accessories. But the windows from the reference wall do not show up.
this is the normal behaviour. (of course it is not nice)
but there is a solution for the problem:
make a small wall just for the window and place it on the position of the hole, put the window in and you will see your window in the hole. but it is not rotated like the wall.
put a rotx ... command at the beginning of the window's 3d skript and it should work. (maybe there will be problems, if a del top command is used in the script)

hope it helps
best regards, gerd
Anonymous
Not applicable
That works! Thank you.
One more question... It seems like there is only one material choice for canted walls. Is there a way to designate different materials for the two sides and ends?

thanks again,
jackie
Dwight
Newcomer
The fastest way to place a window in a tilted wall is to use an SEO using two identical roof planes.

Not elegant in plan, but fine in 3D.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
i tried using the workaround by drawing a wall and placing a window in it. it allowed me to do that, but then i couldn't drag the window and the wall to be inside of the canted wall. i could drag the window individually (which i thought was strange), but it didn't cut a hole in the wall. should i just use roof planes to make my canted wall and forget about the canted wall accessory all together? thanks
Learn and get certified!