Parametric design
About Rhino & Grasshopper and PARAM-O.

Change ID of ArchiCAD elements

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,
I am thinking of writting a script which would automatically change ID of my elements based on certain criteria, which would speed up documentation process. I am wondering if we can change ID of existing wall for example from grasshopper (I do not want to create a new wall, just change the ID parameter of existing wall)
8 REPLIES 8
leceta
Expert
Afaik, currently the only way to programatically edit existing geometry is using Excel or ArchiCAD API

You can automate the excel edition with GH, but you cannot edit archicad elements directly from GH.

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=61419
leceta
Expert
It would be interesting to have a FAQ topic in the forum, since some questions are being recurrently asked.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for your reply. It could be used as a workaround, I hope they will implement this kind of stuff in future releases.
Anonymous
Not applicable
could you elaborate on workflow of updateing elements using excel file?
agroni
Booster
From curiosity, what is the purpose of editing the ID of the Elements???
Find&Select works also fine with such selection...
The BIMster @ AllesWirdGut
Currently: Archicad 26
User since Archicad 6.5 (2001)
Anonymous
Not applicable
It has to do with the way I am trying to do annotation of drawings & schedules. Same goes for doors / windows. I would write a script to take and sort all parameters for composites for example, and than add ID to each wall based on that criteria. Same could be done for doors and windows, based on size lets say. That way, I would not need to take care of duplicates or similar issues.
Anonymous
Not applicable
leceta wrote:
Afaik, currently the only way to programatically edit existing geometry is using Excel or ArchiCAD API

You can automate the excel edition with GH, but you cannot edit archicad elements directly from GH.

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=61419
@leceta can you explain the workflow of automate the excel edition with GH?
leceta
Expert
sorry, I actually have not the time to prepare further explanations on this workflow, but you must know that only "property values" are editable via excel.

this excel workflow is meant to enrich with data the existing archicad geometry, not to transform the geometry itself...

If you want to explore yourself, you can start looking at the different GH/excel connection components. In particular, I have used the components inside "TT toolbox" collection, without a particular reason (others are available)