Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Change Specific Treads/Run depths on for a staircase

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello, I have a very simple problem which I'm sure has a very simple solution . I have a staircase with a run of 1' for the treads (see photo). There are some treads which I want to change to have a differrent run of 11 1/2" (circled in red). Is there a way to change the run of those specific treads? Thank you.
9 REPLIES 9
Lingwisyer
Guru
Nathan wrote:
circled in red

Wrong image? Isn't that a trip hazard?

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Anonymous
Not applicable
Lingwisyer wrote:
Nathan wrote:
circled in red

Wrong image? Isn't that a trip hazard?

Ling.
Thanks for pointing that out Ling. I have uploaded the correct image now. Any ideas on how to accomplish this using the stair tool?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just to agree with Ling, this is potentially a hazard. The building code in my area mandates that all treads will be within 5mm (3/16") of each other.
Anonymous
Not applicable
KrisM wrote:
Just to agree with Ling, this is potentially a hazard. The building code in my area mandates that all treads will be within 5mm (3/16") of each other.
Hey Kris, I appreciate your concern. I will take a look at the code in my area to see how it will affect this staircase. That being said, I still would like to know how to complete this task. And to make things easier, lets say instead of changing to run of specific treads from 12" to 11 1/2", I actually want to change the run from 12" to 11 7/8". Is there a way to do this with the stair tool?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry Kelly
To change a single tread depth, you could create a landing and adjust the depth to suit.
To adjust the tread depth for a group of treads, then you really need to create 2 separate stairs, as they will be following different settings.

Splitting the structure will not be enough as you still can't have different tread depths, riser heights.
I am pretty sure you will need to create 2 stairs and join them together.
Unless I am wrong and I am happy for someone to show me how it can be done.

It seems odd we can adjust the height of a tread (riser) for individual treads, but we can not adjust the depth of the tread (I agree it shouldn't be done but then we shouldn't be able to adjust the riser then either?).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Lingwisyer
Guru
Barry wrote:
we shouldn't be able to adjust the riser then either

Maybe that option is there for if your use a custom tread?

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
To change a single tread depth, you could create a landing and adjust the depth to suit.
To adjust the tread depth for a group of treads, then you really need to create 2 separate stairs, as they will be following different settings.

Splitting the structure will not be enough as you still can't have different tread depths, riser heights.
I am pretty sure you will need to create 2 stairs and join them together.
Unless I am wrong and I am happy for someone to show me how it can be done.

It seems odd we can adjust the height of a tread (riser) for individual treads, but we can not adjust the depth of the tread (I agree it shouldn't be done but then we shouldn't be able to adjust the riser then either?).

Barry.
Thanks very much Barry. Those are both good work arounds. I will give it a try and see how it works out.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just curious why you need to do this?