BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Circular fill subtraction

Anonymous
Not applicable
Could not find a way to subtract a circular shape from a fill, or for that matter any shape with a curve to it. For example if you had a round window in brick fill on a wall. (Thought I posted this last night so may be a repeat). Thanks once again.
5 REPLIES 5
TomWaltz
Participant
Hmidd wrote:
Could not find a way to subtract a circular shape from a fill, or for that matter any shape with a curve to it. For example if you had a round window in brick fill on a wall. (Thought I posted this last night so may be a repeat). Thanks once again.
You did. The answer is at http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=8442.

For windows in walls, you place hatches on the walls by assigning a brick material to your wall. This places a brick fill on the wall in elevation. When you place a window, it cuts a hole in the wall, and by extention, the brick fill as well. This way it does not matter what shape the hole is, the fill is cut out as part of the wall.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK--now that I look at my example, I used a bad one- how about a circular subtraction when there is no object, maybe a floor tile pattern and you want a circle subtracted? Thanks for all your help
Anonymous
Not applicable
Select your fill, space click inside the circle (or any other shape).
TomWaltz
Participant
Hmidd wrote:
OK--now that I look at my example, I used a bad one- how about a circular subtraction when there is no object, maybe a floor tile pattern and you want a circle subtracted? Thanks for all your help
Generally if you want to subtract a rounded shape, you will need to draw it first (as a wall, circle, slab, etc), then Magic Wand it.

It's not ideal, but it works.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks all for the ideas!!
Learn and get certified!