BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

CodeMeter Hardware key conversion in Update installers

Csaba Kezer
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Dear All,

As you might have noticed already, lately Apple has started to become less tolerant with 3rd party hardware devices that are reached through a so-called Kernel Extension. Because of this the CodeMeter driver’s Kernel Extension already needs manual approval on macOS 10.13.

If the above trend continues, 3rd party Kernel Extensions might get completely blocked with macOS 10.14 in September 2018. This means, that users upgrading to macOS 10.14 might not be able to run ARCHICAD from CodeMeter hardware licenses altogether and will need to have their keys replaced with new, compatible ones!

To avoid the above from happening, CodeMeter hardware keys need to be converted to a format that remains compatible with future versions of macOS. To make this as easy and convenient as possible, we are extending our Update installers with a converter tool to enable a straightforward key conversion process.

The following new Updates will contain the conversion:
ARCHICAD 19 Update 9001 – released today for all languages!
- This is the same Update that we released in 2017 June, now repackaged with the converter tool as an addition: 
- Check for Updates will offer this Update only when it’s relevant: for those, who haven’t installed 9001 yet, and for those who have, but run ARCHICAD from a local single license key that needs conversion
ARCHICAD 20 Update 8000
ARCHICAD 21 Update 6000
LMT Update 2018

The converter is also already available in a standalone format (in english language), downloadable from here: CodeMeter Protection Key Updater.
This tool is useful for those, who:
- prefer to do the conversion independently from an ARCHICAD/LMT Update 
- use NET keys (plugged into computers where ARCHICAD or LMT is not installed) 
- use GRAPHISOFT products that won’t receive a converter Update 

You can read more about the conversion in our FAQ article.

Best regards,
Csaba
Csaba Kézér
Director, Global Customer Support
Graphisoft
13 REPLIES 13
Csaba Kezer
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Hi David,

Firmware 2.02 and CodeMeter 6.04b are sufficient for the upgrader to run. After the conversion your key with HID communication will work the same as it does now with the KEXT communication. So it will be able to run ARCHICAD 10, if the CodeMeter enabler is installed (which I believe is the case with your setup).

Csaba
Csaba Kézér
Director, Global Customer Support
Graphisoft
Karl Ottenstein
David wrote:
I can now run AC10 with the older (current) setup on OSX10.10.5. (Firmware 2.02, CodeMeter 6.04b.) Will this still work once the key and firmware are upgraded? Or should I leave the firmware and CodeMeter app alone?
That was the specific question I had in my broader question about OS/version compatibility, David...

I bit the bullet and did the conversion - and AC 10 still runs for me. So...all is good. 🙂

Thanks for all of the clarifications, Csaba.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Csaba: Thanks for the specific clarification.

Karl: Thanks for taking the plunge and reporting back.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there,

We use an MDM (JAMF) to manage all our Macs and I've added the team IDs for the KEXT to an approved list.
If you're using an MDM this works very well.
Learn and get certified!