BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Codes informed me I need to raise my finish floor 1 foot

Anonymous
Not applicable
to avoid the flood plain. What would be a good way to do this without totaly blowing up my model and causing havoc on all my elevations.

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Mark Wallace
Enthusiast
I’ve had to do this too for flood-ways, flood plains, and for construction modifications to a single floor while leaving the rest of the floor elevations the same. I assume you want to keep the foundation bedded at the same elevation.

First; Make a copy of your model and then open a section view – any of your sections will work.

Second; From the ‘Design>Edit Story Levels’ you will get a palette titled ‘ Story Editing Mode.’

Third; If you need to raise the 1st floor and all of the floors above, then click on the 3rd icon and then click ‘OK.’

Fourth; Grab the 1st floor line and carefully move the line up one (1) foot. You can type it in with the coordinates box. Click ‘OK’ again. ArchiCAD will now raise the elevation of the floor and everything above it by one foot while leaving the floor elevation below the same.

Fifth; Increase the height of the exterior walls, columns, and related construction elements below the first floor as necessary to ‘fill-up’ the 1 ft void left by the increase in floor height. Place revision marks as necessary.

Sixth; Rebuild from Model, all of the section and elevation views.

Seventh; Update your drawings and properly annotate your revisions. Check and your ready to reissue your documents.

ArchiCAD is very good at doing this kind of revision.

HTH’s.!
Mark R. Wallace AIA
---------------------------------------

MacBook 2.53 Ghz, Intel Core i5, 8 Gb,
Mac OSX (Sierra 10.12.6,
ArchiCAD 22 USA Full, +21, & 20.
Anonymous
Not applicable
In the past, when i've had to adjust the level of the entire building with relation to the site, i've found it much easier to drop the level of the site the required amount, mainly because of a couple of modelling conventions i've adopted:

1. set ground floor at project level 0; all vertical construction dimensions are measured from this.

2. model site mesh and associated items on storey -1, or lower; this lets you increase the 'height to next storey' distance without increasing the height of building's storeys;

3. use the level dimension tool to set floor height dimensions in plan and in the 'Project Preferences' dialogue box, use one of the reference levels to set the site height datum relative to ground floor finished floor level - level dimension tool text adjusted to use the reference level rather than the default project zero.
Mark Wallace
Enthusiast
Kombibob....

While helpful, the original poster requested moving the elevation of 'One floor' only within the model and not the entire model. He didn't mention linking his building to a site model either.

The response to moving parts of the model while maintaining the integrity of the overall building demonstrates one of the awesome capabilities this software wheels. I just used a version of this operation earlier this week to reset and 'deepen' the Basement/foundations of a house to accommodate a poor soils condition. The Owner gets a basement with a slightly higher ceiling, the Contractor gets updated info & verification on where to put the construction, the Municipality gets info so they can see what we're up to & I get to charge a revision fee.

BTW; Convention in US is Not to, or Never use negative elevation numbers as that connotes 'below sea level.' Negative numbers are used in shore or tidal areas or in places like Death Valley, Calif. 🙂

Regards,
Mark R. Wallace AIA
---------------------------------------

MacBook 2.53 Ghz, Intel Core i5, 8 Gb,
Mac OSX (Sierra 10.12.6,
ArchiCAD 22 USA Full, +21, & 20.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, i didn't realize from the original post that the question related to moving just one story.

in that case i agree, adjusting story elevation details is probably the only way to do it effectively. Unfortunately, up to v14, you still have to manually change wall effective wall heights to suit (unless you've used SEOs to fit them to slabs over).

Also, just to clarify my comments regarding use of project reference levels, it doesn't result in negative elevation levels (not standard use here in oz either); rather, it allows you to have level dimensions reference site datum levels, while still allowing project datum to remain at 0, which i find much easier when modelling a project. There's some related info here:
http://www.onland.info/archives/2008/10/sea_level.php
Learn and get certified!