Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Cold Room Doors - scheduling & modelling

Gerry Leonor
Advisor

in my time here, our office have gone through 2 projects that require cold room doors that require them to be modelled & scheduled. these are typically the same material/composition as the thick insulated panel walls that surround a space which requires the environment at temperatures colder than ambient.

for you Americans, think eggs/cold milk/frozen meat rooms in your typical Costco...or a walk-in fridge in your local beer shop.

the thing with these doors is that the opening is, in most cases, the door panel is outside of the door opening & always larger. refer plan screenshot below -- a detail from a manufacturer we're using.

GerryLeonor_0-1652322337048.png

RED is the opening. BLUE is the door panel.

How do I input this in Archicad where the door is modelled & also scheduled. I'd like to have the freedom to be able to schedule both panel size & opening size separately.

I couldn't think of a way where a single door object handles both the door opening size & panel size and is able to be scheduled. i've had to resort using 2 door models for 1 instance -- one for the door panel (with 0mm thick frame) & another for the door opening.

AC25 | Win10 | 64 bit | 16Gb RAM |Intel i7 8700 @ 3.20Ghz

come join our unofficial Discord server
https://discord.gg/XGHjyvutt8
3 REPLIES 3
Barry Kelly

So, do you have a single object that can place this door?

If it is a single object, then I assume the opening size is controlled as normal.

And there should be parameters to control the door size? - unless it is automatically over-sized by a certain amount.

If there are parameters for the door size, you just have to add them into the schedule field.

BarryKelly_0-1652324497456.png

If there are not parameters that show the door size. then you will need to create them.

Or if you don't want to edit the GDL of the object, you can create properties with expressions to calculate the door size - i.e. opening width + 200mm, opening height  + 100mm - or something like that.

Then you schedule those properties.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Gerry Leonor
Advisor

i can't find a door object in the current AC library (22) that handles an opening smaller than the panel & have the panel sit outside of the opening zone & swing outwards.

unfortunately nobody in the office knows how to use GDL so that path is closed to us, without having to go externally & have somebody create a custom door object for us.

the properties + expressions crossed my mind, but that doesn't help with the modelling part of the problem, where we'd like to see the correct door modelled & scheduled at the same time.

AC25 | Win10 | 64 bit | 16Gb RAM |Intel i7 8700 @ 3.20Ghz

come join our unofficial Discord server
https://discord.gg/XGHjyvutt8

If you are placing 2 separate object, there is no way that you can schedule them as one object.

You could schedule just the opening and a properties to it for the door panel size.

But you will not be able to see a graphical representation in the schedule unless you mess around copy & pasting into the 2d/3d views or overlay images on the schedule in the layouts.

I don't use the default library parts.

But is there a 'barn door' style sliding door there that might be usable?

You could try modelling your own door frame and panel laying flat on the ground in 2D.

Then save as a door object.

It won't be parametric, but that might be OK if you are not going to want to change the size or other settings.

Here is a link to creating a custom window ... https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Design-articles/How-to-create-Custom-Window/ta-p/303432

I thought there was one for doors too, but I can't see one.

Same as the window but you save as a door object.

The frame should be modelled at zero height with the thickness going up (that will be into the wall.

The door panel you would model below zero 9 that will be outside the wall when you place the final object.

Go to as much detail as you want for the frame, panel, rollers, handles, etc.

Or just model the basic frame and panel and add rollers and handles separately.

There is also Library Part Maker if that is available to you through a select service agreement.

I have never used it but it is supposed to be able to do this sort of thing (again not parametric)

https://graphisoft.com/downloads/addons/LPM

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11