Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Columns, slabs and others in colinear walls

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have some issues. Wen i´m building a new model, usually the columns and the walls are on the same plane, but wen I look on de 3D, I see the wall, and the columns too. This is a issue because the column is, for example, painted in the exterior in white and blue in the interior, but with the surface option, is all the column that is painted! Not only the paint issue, it happens too in a elevation, where the column and the slab is visible in the wall plane... Can you help me with this?

Im starting with this program but, I happend to hear that a BIM app have to be model like the real building is going to be. This is why I think there is another way, other than putting a micro wall in front of all to cover it, or getting some centimeters more in the wall (not real and the layout them is not real too)

Captura de pantalla 2016-02-17 a las 15.35.35.png
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
More pics
Anonymous
Not applicable
Other pic
Captura de pantalla 2016-02-17 a las 15.36.54.png
Anonymous
Not applicable
And the 2D content
Captura de pantalla 2016-02-17 a las 15.01.19.png
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, the basic issue is that the Surface applied to the Column will be applied to all its sides. It is not possible to set the various sides to different Surfaces.

There is a little trick you can do however. Columns can have Veneers. Turn on the Veneer for the Column and make it very thin, like 0.1 mm. (This way when you dimension it it will not be visible in the displayed dimension.) You can set the Veneer to a different Building Material which will have a different Surface assigned to it. You only need to make sure that the Building Material of the Veneer has a lower Intersection Priority than the Building Material of the Wall the Building Material pop-up shows the Intersection Priorities). This way the Veneer will be applied only to that part of the Column that is protruding from the Wall on the inside. This is because the Wall's Building Material is stronger so its cuts the Column Veneer and thus the Column Veneer will not go around the whole Column. As soon as it hits the Wall it stops.

As far as the lines between the Walls and Slab are concerned: I would check very closely whether the Walls and Slabs are modeled so their outside surfaces are exactly in the same vertical plane. If they are and they have the same Surface those line will be eliminated both in 3D and in Elevations.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Or create a Complex Profile - switch the column from Square to Complex Profile (will create a custom profile) then in any view use the context menu "Edit Selected Profile" - be sure to save, and reapply the new saved profile.

Click on an edge in Profile Editor and open the custom edge settings dialogue. You can assign a different surface to any edge then.
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Great point James, I did not think of that possibility. It is probably a better solution as it does not resort to various "tricks".
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok so here are the news. Thx for the reply guys, it helps a bit. As you can see, in the 2D work, but I have to move the wall the 0.0001m that I assing in the Veneer, if not, the line will continue to poop out. But them, in the 3D something weird happend, some kind of double surface with the "core" concrete of the column and the wall. Lucky there is no issue in the 3D render.
Anonymous
Not applicable
But I said it helps a bit, because in other facade I apply the same thing, and it wont work the same way. In 3D, the behavior is the same "double surface" but in 2D, is not the same case. Even more, in this case, wen I adjust the slab the same 0.0001m just get strange (you can see it on the img) Them I tried to get the wall and slab 0,0002m in front, them the vertical division still there, and it cuts in the slab...

I will try the complex column, but i dont quite understand the hole thing, can you explain me again James B?
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
DAGUAL wrote:
I will try the complex column, but i dont quite understand the hole thing, can you explain me again James B?
In the Column settings, you have rectangular geometry, click the Profile type (looks like an I beam icon) - this will auto convert the recangular type into a profile and preserve the shape.
Then, on one column, right click and choose Edit Selected Profile. This will open the Profile Manager and Editor.
In the Profile Manager, Store the profile so you can reuse it. Then in the Profile Editor window, you'll see the rectangular column. If you click on an edge, you'll get the Pet Palette. The last option (far right) on the top row will be an option to Edit that edge. It will bring up a dialogue, where you can override the surface for that clicked edge. Make sure you store the profile again.
Then you can close the Profile Manager and Editor, and in the column settings choose the column you just stored.

I know I should post screenshots but I don't have access to ARCHICAD right now I hope that helps.
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager