BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.
SOLVED!

Combining ArchiCAD Projects/Phases

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi All,

I have a resort building that is being built in three stages, and as such is being/has been designed in three stages. The first stage is the "main resort lodge" with dining room, bar, office, etc. The second stage is a storage building with sprinkler systems and mechanicals. The third stage is a two-story hotel. The Lodge was drawn in a .PLN, the Storage Mechanical phase in its own .pln, and the hotel in a separate .PLN.

What I want to do is combine the three drawings so I have one complete model to view and reference to. I do not need layouts, detailing, or annotation to transfer, just the building elements.

My initial thought was to create a fourth master .PLN and copy and paste the building elements from each project into it. I am also considering Hotlink modules, but do not have much experience with it.

What're everyone's thoughts?

TYIA
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Barry Kelly
I would look into hotlink files, especially if the originals are ever going to be updated.

I assume your 3 files all have different storey heights.
So with either copy & paste or hotlink modules you will have to be careful as the master file cn only have one set of storey heights.

However with the hotlinks you have an option to "Keep height as in Storey Structure of Hotlink Source".

Also the hotlink can be the PLN file, you don't have to save out special .MOD (module) files.

When your grouping is 'enabled', each hotlink will behave as one element which you can move, elevate or rotate as required.
It is a bit easier than dealing with individual pasted elements.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Solution
Barry Kelly
I would look into hotlink files, especially if the originals are ever going to be updated.

I assume your 3 files all have different storey heights.
So with either copy & paste or hotlink modules you will have to be careful as the master file cn only have one set of storey heights.

However with the hotlinks you have an option to "Keep height as in Storey Structure of Hotlink Source".

Also the hotlink can be the PLN file, you don't have to save out special .MOD (module) files.

When your grouping is 'enabled', each hotlink will behave as one element which you can move, elevate or rotate as required.
It is a bit easier than dealing with individual pasted elements.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Barry. I saved each .PLN as a hotlinked modules and it worked pretty well. The only thing that took me a minute to figure out is once the module is placed it cannot be rotated or moved. It needs to be referenced correctly at the time its inserted.
Barry Kelly
dieselboy wrote:
The only thing that took me a minute to figure out is once the module is placed it cannot be rotated or moved. It needs to be referenced correctly at the time its inserted.
No, you can move, rotate or elevate a hotlink module after it has been placed.
The trick is you must have grouping "Enabled' so that when you select any part of the hotlink, the entire hotlink is selected.
Then you can move it as a whole, just like any other element.

Or you can go back to the hotlink settings where you can change elevation and rotation from memory.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Learn and get certified!