BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Commercial Door / Metal Door

Jere
Expert
I asked this in another thread but didn't receive a response, so I figure I'll ask it here in the proper forum.

Is there any difference between the Commercial Door and the Metal Door library parts in AC11?

Is there a way to get a mullion in between the double doors?
ArchiCAD 26-5002; Windows 11; Intel i7-10700KF; 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1660
12 REPLIES 12
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
I know we prefer the Commercial door to the Metal door, but I can no longer remember why. The `middle frame` parameter was removed at some point (it's still in the parameter table, but hidden), after AC9.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Jere
Expert
I can't seem to find the middle frame parameter. Can you be more specific in where to find it?

Thanks a bunch.

A nice option to have would be to be able to gang these doors like all the wood doors/windows. Also, to have a window object with the same frame as the commercial door for making hollow metal frames (borrowed lights.)

While I'm on the subject, any advice in that regard?
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Jere wrote:
Also, to have a window object with the same frame as the commercial door for making hollow metal frames (borrowed lights.)

While I'm on the subject, any advice in that regard?
Yes, it would -- in the meantime, we just use Storefront Objects for borrowed lights.

The `Middle Frame`is in the Object's parameter list, but it's been "deactivated" (you can turn it on, but it no longer does anything).
Jere
Expert
Thanks again Laura.

I've been using the storefront objects as well. I guess that the best way for now.

I won't touch the script for now. Currently, GDL scares me.
Da3dalus
Enthusiast
Just to re-activate this topic, there are a few differences in the various door types, and they aren't very clearly noted, as far as I know. The primary advantage over the "Commercial" door is that the frame can be set to "Wrap around wall", essentially simulating a knock-down type of frame (generally steel or aluminum). The "Metal" Doors are more limited, mainly representing hollow metal frames. Of course, the wood doors have many more options, including casing and shim space. However, in plan or 3D view, this generally make little difference.

The middle frame component has been recently re-introduced in most of the door types, I'm happy to report (in either AC16 or AC17?). However, it cannot be accessed through the graphical interface pane; it can only be found under the "Door Frame" parameters, along with it's width.

According to the AC17 new features guide, the Europeans seem to have a lot more options now available, like sidelites with sill height, and different door panels on double doors.

I would like to someday see a monster door object that could have 3D accessories like closers, protection plates, keypads, surface rods, hinges, bottoms, hold-opens, stops, automatic openers, a wider variety of exit devices, and maybe even exit signs, pushbuttons, and card readers! Link that to the schedule, and I would be in heaven!
Chuck Kottka
Orcutt Winslow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

ArchiCAD 25 (since 4.5)
Macbook Pro 15" Touchbar OSX 10.15 Core i7 2.9GHz/16GB RAM/Radeon Pro560 4GB
Andy Thomson
Advisor
Picking up this thread (hi Laura) - as it's become a wee pet project of mine in this office - where I will need to get a bomber schedule and details set up for a number of medical clinics I'm working on. Laura - if/when you're at your desk, could you screen cap a 1:10 plan view of your most convincing HMC/HMF door frame? AFAIK there is no real way to goose the parameters to make the frame look anything close to an HMF frame....

@Da3dalus - f'in right. Great idea for a future GDL project...
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Hi Andy! I've been away from the forum so long, I needed to update my signature block.

Like this? Sorry, we don't work in Metric, but I don't think scale matters, as I leave my doors' 2D Detail Level set to `Detailed` (screenshot below is 1/8" = 1'-0"). This is the Commercial Door.
Commercial Door.jpg
Andy Thomson
Advisor
Wow - thanks! How'd you manage that parameter magic? Could you please send or post the a .mod file of that? Best I could do is here... was that image of the so called 'metal door'? (sizes not correct yet) - have not been asked to represent these fully yet the way yours show...
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
We use the Commercial Door. Attached are the frame settings. I can't attach a MOD file, but PM me with your e-mail address, and I'll forward.
Commercial Door Frame.jpg
Learn and get certified!