Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

General discussions
Posts about job ads, news about competitions, events, learning resources, research, etc.

Community feedback: I love Archicad, but...

Arpad Szabo
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Hi all,

in the following survey, you can prioritize some of the most common pain points that arise while using Archicad. We know they might not be your top-priority requests, but tweaking them could make your everyday work easier. 

Thank you for your feedback!

Link for the survey:

https://forms.office.com/r/HKPVUEDPWs

9 REPLIES 9
Hmooslechner
Rockstar

i love..... but if i zoom near objects in 3D to edit in little details, , it often jumps behind it.. Thats really ......bhhhh!  ( by the way - other big 3D-Programs now can make Realtime-Renderings - Graphisoft should think about it too - like blender ..)

I answered the survey.. but to write here is too .. temting - smile.

AC5.5-AC27EduAut, PC-Win10, MacbookAirM1, MacbookM1Max, Win-I7+Nvidia

Improving at least one of the survey items = progress!

@Hmooslechner wrote:

i love..... but if i zoom near objects in 3D to edit in little details, , it often jumps behind it.. Thats really ......bhhhh! 

Is that because you are in 'Perspective' rather than 'Axonometric'?

I find Perspective vies are hard to navigate when you want to get up close.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
NandoMogollon
Advocate

Hey Arpad, Note that question 7 is not correct because is making an assumption that does not reflect reality: "When using Teamwork, I spend time setting up a complicated element, but then have to start all over again because I forgot to reserve it first."

If in Teamwork, you can't modify (setting up a complicated element) if you don't have it reserved. And reservation is manual when on BIMcloud basic only, it is automatic on the full version.

I understand my next statement may sound out of tone, but please trust me I'm trying to be both helpful and respectful.

In general my impression is that if anyone finds a proposed issue compelling, you need to know how that particular task is done

Again this is for most of the points in the form but not all of them: I agree on Selection being tricky sometimes ( if you don't know how the pre-selection highlight works or to use the Tab key to change your selection).

Maybe all it is needed is tackling every point separately and sort it out.

Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Using, Archicad Latest AU and INT. Revit Latest (have to keep comparing notes)
More and more... IFC.js, IFCOpenShell
All things Solibri and BIMCollab

Hi Nando,

but you can start modifying elements without reserving - not as a graphical editing interaction in plan view/3D, but in Element Settings dialogs. Most of the time, only the OK button is disabled, so you can start doing things like setting properties, or modifying stuff in a Railing or Curtain Wall pattern editor, spending quite some time before realizing you won't be able to press OK.

But I'm glad you find that this issue can't happen - it means at least you don't encounter it often 🙂

You are right it can happen there too. We thought the key difference is that with the teamwork reservation, it is usually a "sh*t I forgot" kind-of-thing which maybe could be tweaked - whereas in the hotlink case, the elements are by-definition read-only; so there's nothing you could do to make the accidental editing worthwhile. But still, you are right that you might accidentally waste time in the settings dialog of a non-editable hotlinked element as well.

To me that is a rather contored reasoning. I don't really see the difference - in both cases the application accepts input when it obviously shouldn't.

PS The infobox is more likely to be an issue than the dialog as there isn't any real indication for the input being rejected.

NandoMogollon
Advocate

@Gergely Hari & @thesleepofreason,

You are correct, and my assumption: working on graphically modifying the model wasn't comprehensive enough.
Actually let me add one that is quite tricky and annoying: Change of layers  in a shared file. This is the situation:

- You create a layer (intentionally or unintentionally by updating a hotlink, merging content or else).

- Someone else reserves the Layer Settings

- You cannot send your changes, unless the other person releases the layers.

If I had access to the Graphisoft branch of the "Make-a-wish" foundation, I would ask for a change in UI: when something is reserved, it's interface border or background colour should change in colour. This would send a clear message to the user (I'm not accessible)
This is sort of extending the already feature to show your reservation with colours, in this case extended to the info box, element settings, View borders (for view settings) etc...

Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Using, Archicad Latest AU and INT. Revit Latest (have to keep comparing notes)
More and more... IFC.js, IFCOpenShell
All things Solibri and BIMCollab