BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Compatibility Changes in GDL in ARCHICAD 19

AndorSzoke
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear All,

Please be aware of changes between ARCHICAD 18 and ARCHICAD 19 in GDL script usage. Firstly objects will only be able to use the speed improvement provided by the new Predictive Background Processing feature of ARCHICAD 19 if they follow particular rules. Secondly we have removed the possibility of using User Globals for data transfer between objects. You can find a document at the http://download.graphisoft.com/ftp/techsupport/downloads/GDL/GDL%20changes%20in%20ArchiCAD%2019%20v1.1.pdf address describing these changes in detail. The document also contains information on a restriction in GDL usage that is planned to be introduced in ARCHICAD 20.

Best regards
AndorSzőke
Product Management
GRAPHISOFT SE
Follow us on Twitter
GRAPHISOFT HelpCenter - the ArchiCAD knowledge base
6 REPLIES 6
Barry Kelly
I don't think most users will realise the implications of these changes until they start to use 19 and find their objects may not be working as they once did.
In fact most users will not realise until version 20 when most of these changes will come into effect.

GDL developers will get error messages while scripting in 19 that the end user will not see at all (and objects should work as they have done in the past until version 20 comes along).

So GDL developers it is time to start checking your scripting.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Ouch, I will have to start testing our large library of product object-libraries we've collected over the years, to see if they are compatible and to see if there are updates.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Erich
Contributor
At least we have the heads up this time.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
I don't think most users will realise the implications of these changes until they start to use 19 and find their objects may not be working as they once did.
In fact most users will not realise until version 20 when most of these changes will come into effect.

GDL developers will get error messages while scripting in 19 that the end user will not see at all (and objects should work as they have done in the past until version 20 comes along).

So GDL developers it is time to start checking your scripting.

Barry.
We use a zone stamp that lets our users select surfaces as parameters to be used in a room finish schedule. The name of the surfaces are requested in the parameter script and then parsed to extract a text designation found in the name that will be displayed on the room finish schedule. We really liked the ease of use. Sounds like we will lose the parsing capability in v20. Wish I knew a way to keep it.
Erich
Contributor
From my reading of the "GDL changes in ArchiCAD 19 v1.1" document, you just can't have the request in the parameter script. It looks like moving it to another scripting environment will allow the requests to continue functioning.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Barry Kelly
Erich wrote:
From my reading of the "GDL changes in ArchiCAD 19 v1.1" document, you just can't have the request in the parameter script. It looks like moving it to another scripting environment will allow the requests to continue functioning.
Sure you can use the REQUEST commands in the 2D and 3D scripts and they will work perfectly.
Problem is as far as I know you can't set a parameter value from a 2D or 3D script so you won't be able to use that parameter in a schedule.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!