Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Complex Profiled Elements end offset

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am new to Archicad and was wondering if the complex profiled [was originally:composite] elements could have a value to stop or extend their end faces (both sides). Is this too many variables and is the strength of materials better?
5 REPLIES 5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Check this article:

http://www.archicadwiki.com/CompositeWallsWithVaryingSkinHeights

I would say that this method and leaving ArchiCAD to work out the connections based on Building Material Priorities are both viable methods.
For example, you could use this method at a Wall Top or a Wall Footing like in the article. For inbetween Wall-Slab connections you would let ArchiCAD do the connections automatically.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Laszlo, I have created some complex profiles and here is a common situation: A stone veneer skin with an intermediate stone sill and a wood siding upper skin. Typically I might have two or three sill heights which would require two or three composites as the vertical stretch needs to be either in the siding skin zone or the veneer skin zone. Does this sound correct or am I misreading how to do this? The other variable from project to project is the stone veneer skin offset to the foundation wall needs to vary with the floor joist depth (could be 10", 12" or 14" joists). This would mean an additional composite specifically for the varying joists and for each joist depth a potential subset with the varying sill heights. This isn't really a problem to do as the composites can be created and saved as the situations arise. My question as a newb to the program is whether I have grasped the concept correctly or have I missed something fundamental.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry just read my post and where I have composites, should have been complex profiles. Apologies.
Karl Ottenstein
Ridgebacks wrote:
Sorry just read my post and where I have composites, should have been complex profiles. Apologies.
I've changed the subject of your first post / thread and edited the post for you. In the future, note that there is an Edit button by every post that you make, allowing you to edit it yourself. 😉

I've also moved this to "Working in ArchiCAD" and removed your poll. The "Wish" forums are for requesting new features/behavior once you've found that there is no way to accomplish what you desire. 😉
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
Yes, you're grasping the limitation of complex profiled walls: there is only one vertical stretch zone. In your last/question post, you were still using the word 'composite' where you meant CP. As I understand it, you're talking about CP walls everywhere here.

So, you'd like various heights of stone, a stone sill, and then various heights of wood siding above...

While there are lots of ways to model this, how to do so most quickly/efficiently depends on where/how many doors/windows are being inserted - where I assume only doors will cut through the stone and stone sill as well as the wood siding? And... if you are doing energy analysis, since you have to do more manual work to get energy analysis out of a CP wall vs a composite wall.

A few ways:

If the wall is a frame wall and the stone is a veneer as you state, then the most efficient way of doing this is probably with a composite wall (for the frame wall - gyp, studs/insul, plywood) and using a Wall Accessory. The Wall Accessory is a Goodie that is installed via the Help Menu (Downloads). You select a wall first, then select Wall Accessory from the menus (after the add-on is installed), and define the thickness/material for the stone, the size of the sill, and the material for your siding. This is associated with your wall (although it is a separate object), and windows/doors will automatically cut through both it and your wall when placed in the wall.

See:
http://www.archicadwiki.com/WallAccessories
which is for 15, but the same in all versions... In the screenshot for "Choose Wall Accessory Object" there, it is the "Moldings and Panels" accessory that you'd choose (vs the Wall Framing in the example on that page).

Alternatively, you can do the stone up to the sill as one profile (e.g.), and the frame wall with siding above as a composite. Size each as needed and stack them. For any doors/windows that span both walls, you'll have to place an Empty Opening in the wall that isn't the host of the door/window.

If the face of the stone is not in the same vertical plane as the face of the siding, then getting your trim to appear properly will be the deciding factor on how to insert your windows/doors with any of these suggestions. Depends on if the trim extends beyond the stone, the stone abuts the trim, etc.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB