Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Complex curtain wall, Shell or Morph (pics inside)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Finally some interesting modeling project, but a bit challenging !
Didn’t use Shell and Morph much before, trying to find out the best way to model this shape ( it is a curtain wall however I think it is impossible to use Curtain wall tool for it due it is shape)

-You can see the sketch of plan, and both elevations.
-The best approach I can think of is to create a profiled wall with the curved section shape , apply it to façade (curved in plan) and then turn in into morph, to subtract the edges ( I know it is possible for Shell tool to subtract and adjust in elevation- but I can’t find the same for morph).
not sure if I can use the Shell tool ? it will be curved on plan, curved on section and finally trimmed in a curve on the edges.

Any ideas, thanks?

oh the other thing is I tried to start with morph instead of profile, but I am not able to control the curve resolution, am I missing something?

tower-1.jpg
13 REPLIES 13
Hmooslechner
Rockstar
i tried it but its too time-consuming for just one vid in morph..

There is the Dropbox-Link for the AC16EDu:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n7lnsr72xovc4o/Gurke.pln

I tried it smaller with fewer elevations and other shapes in y and x - elevation.

Its a bit complex to develop out of Morph-Lines, because You have to copy each morphline new for every elevation in 3D to put on faces - on after another - and alway make security copys before You Morph-SOE. If You later need a line You have to draw it new or copy it within the Morph-part and cut this line away to use it in an other new face.

When i have time, i can make a nano - Vid-series.
AC5.5-AC27EduAut, PC-Win10, MacbookAirM1, MacbookM1Max, Win-I7+Nvidia
Hmooslechner
Rockstar
Its in upload now - a little different to the dropbox-linkfile:

youtu.be/5aP124hbppE

upload finished!
AC5.5-AC27EduAut, PC-Win10, MacbookAirM1, MacbookM1Max, Win-I7+Nvidia
Anonymous
Not applicable
Besides, you appear to be in AC 13. All we had back then was the stick tool. What gives?
oops ! I have to do my homework and update my signature, apologies ! and hell yes I would love to solve all my issues with a stick
Anonymous
Not applicable
Its in upload now - a little different to the dropbox-linkfile:

youtu.be/5aP124hbppE

upload finished!
Thanks a lot for your help Hmooslechner ! however it looks like I have to face the sad truth that I tried to avoid at the beginning doing it floor by floor ! and actually a bit more, because I just need a shell ( a thickness) so I have to get them all in double line !

however I have a problem with that, when I draw an arc with Morph it is not smooth enough ( check attached pic) any ideas?

Ninja Edit : any one have any horror story to tell about exporting shell to IFC ? (or importing it into Revit?) other consultants will be using Revit actually. I would love to be terrified now rather than later !
tower-3.jpg