BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Complex curtain wall, Shell or Morph (pics inside)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Finally some interesting modeling project, but a bit challenging !
Didn’t use Shell and Morph much before, trying to find out the best way to model this shape ( it is a curtain wall however I think it is impossible to use Curtain wall tool for it due it is shape)

-You can see the sketch of plan, and both elevations.
-The best approach I can think of is to create a profiled wall with the curved section shape , apply it to façade (curved in plan) and then turn in into morph, to subtract the edges ( I know it is possible for Shell tool to subtract and adjust in elevation- but I can’t find the same for morph).
not sure if I can use the Shell tool ? it will be curved on plan, curved on section and finally trimmed in a curve on the edges.

Any ideas, thanks?

oh the other thing is I tried to start with morph instead of profile, but I am not able to control the curve resolution, am I missing something?

tower-1.jpg
13 REPLIES 13
Hmooslechner
Rockstar
i tried it but its too time-consuming for just one vid in morph..

There is the Dropbox-Link for the AC16EDu:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n7lnsr72xovc4o/Gurke.pln

I tried it smaller with fewer elevations and other shapes in y and x - elevation.

Its a bit complex to develop out of Morph-Lines, because You have to copy each morphline new for every elevation in 3D to put on faces - on after another - and alway make security copys before You Morph-SOE. If You later need a line You have to draw it new or copy it within the Morph-part and cut this line away to use it in an other new face.

When i have time, i can make a nano - Vid-series.
AC5.5-AC27EduAut, PC-Win10, MacbookAirM1, MacbookM1Max, Win-I7+Nvidia
Hmooslechner
Rockstar
Its in upload now - a little different to the dropbox-linkfile:

youtu.be/5aP124hbppE

upload finished!
AC5.5-AC27EduAut, PC-Win10, MacbookAirM1, MacbookM1Max, Win-I7+Nvidia
Anonymous
Not applicable
Besides, you appear to be in AC 13. All we had back then was the stick tool. What gives?
oops ! I have to do my homework and update my signature, apologies ! and hell yes I would love to solve all my issues with a stick
Anonymous
Not applicable
Its in upload now - a little different to the dropbox-linkfile:

youtu.be/5aP124hbppE

upload finished!
Thanks a lot for your help Hmooslechner ! however it looks like I have to face the sad truth that I tried to avoid at the beginning doing it floor by floor ! and actually a bit more, because I just need a shell ( a thickness) so I have to get them all in double line !

however I have a problem with that, when I draw an arc with Morph it is not smooth enough ( check attached pic) any ideas?

Ninja Edit : any one have any horror story to tell about exporting shell to IFC ? (or importing it into Revit?) other consultants will be using Revit actually. I would love to be terrified now rather than later !
tower-3.jpg
Learn and get certified!