Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Complex profile: Board & Bat - but stepped.

Johann_P
Advocate

I have board & bat wall siding.

But

1) The walls have different heights,

2) the stud wall behind varies between 6", 8" & 10" in thickness

3) the wall siding steps outboard as does the battens.

4) the battens extend past the bottom of the boards about 3"

What I have currently is:

a) "Composite" for the stud wall.

On this:

b) "Complex profiles" for the siding boards, all modeled individually for the different heights.

On this:

c) "columns" which are the battens.

But for every window and door:

i) I place window in the Composite,

ii) Then place a Opening in the "Complex Profile"

iii) Then manually adjust the height of the "Columns"

Then if a wall of window moves, I have to change all 3 again taking me 3 times as long as just working with a single wall.

There must be a more efficient way of doing this......

Here is a 3D of what I'm trying to achieve and a detail section of the walls & columns I'm using to create it.

Archi222.jpg

Archi223.jpg

ArchiCAD24 - since Nov 2020
Revit - 2005 to 2020
Windows 10 Pro
2 screens: nvidia quadro RTX 4000
13 REPLIES 13

I use my coverings for this they are free.

Central innovation also has some you can pay for.

Windows and doors move and you only have one piece per wall.

Mine will also auto join window and door trims if they are close to each other.

However you would need to do things a certain way as you can only attach two accessories per wall.

Stepping it like that will still take some workaround. 

Maybe I'll have some fun this weekend and see if I can accomplish your look easier than your description.

for me apart from the complex profiles my go to work around for this are curtainwalls. 😎

In the end what is your Objective?
ArchiCAD 9 onwards
Johann_P
Advocate

Thanks @ryejuan 

I've been trying the curtainwalls this morning, but it seems doors and windows can't be placed into it like a into composite.

I'm not missing something to make this happen, am I?

I then understand I'd still have the composite, and a curtainwall that emulates the board and bat which replaces the complex profile and columns.
In this instance, I can't seem to place openings in the curtain wall as cut-outs for the doors/windows in the composite behind.

Am I misunderstanding? 

ArchiCAD24 - since Nov 2020
Revit - 2005 to 2020
Windows 10 Pro
2 screens: nvidia quadro RTX 4000

you can set the scheme where you can add opening in the panel of the curtain wall then behind it is your wall where your door is hosted.

ArchiCAD 9 onwards
Lingwisyer
Guru

Adjusting your scheme each time you add a new opening or modify an existing one can end up being more hassle that it is worth...

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Erwin Edel
Rockstar

I would consolidate the composite and complex profile into one complex profile. You can make the 'stud' part of it stretchy, meaning you need only one complex profile.

Either stack these vertically, or make multiple complex profile for the different sections (in which case you no longer have to make them stretchy in de width).

Now you only need to place one window.

For the columns: I would use the several stretch, multiply, distribute etc tools to quickly redraw these as needed.

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5

Yes I agree with you on this. Unless you do a Solid Element Operation. Where you use an operator to subtract that profile then just take into consideration the wall thickness.

ArchiCAD 9 onwards

I'd do the same, but no need to stack. You could use multiple linked offset profile modifiers that would allow you to change both the height and width of each section. The only separate element would be the battens.

For the battens, they could easily be one complex profile with offset modifiers to adjust as needed.

screenshot1.pngscreenshot2.png

Each "batten" profile contains three separate (one for each wall section), making it easy to stretch around windows. Wall complex profile set so "nominal width" is the width of the structural framing. The two walls shown are the same complex profile with offset modifiers for the depths and heights.

ArchiCAD 26-5002; Windows 11; Intel i7-10700KF; 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1660