Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Complex profile: Board & Bat - but stepped.

Johann_P
Advocate

I have board & bat wall siding.

But

1) The walls have different heights,

2) the stud wall behind varies between 6", 8" & 10" in thickness

3) the wall siding steps outboard as does the battens.

4) the battens extend past the bottom of the boards about 3"

What I have currently is:

a) "Composite" for the stud wall.

On this:

b) "Complex profiles" for the siding boards, all modeled individually for the different heights.

On this:

c) "columns" which are the battens.

But for every window and door:

i) I place window in the Composite,

ii) Then place a Opening in the "Complex Profile"

iii) Then manually adjust the height of the "Columns"

Then if a wall of window moves, I have to change all 3 again taking me 3 times as long as just working with a single wall.

There must be a more efficient way of doing this......

Here is a 3D of what I'm trying to achieve and a detail section of the walls & columns I'm using to create it.

Archi222.jpg

Archi223.jpg

ArchiCAD24 - since Nov 2020
Revit - 2005 to 2020
Windows 10 Pro
2 screens: nvidia quadro RTX 4000
13 REPLIES 13

Here's how I set them up:

screenshot3.pngscreenshot4.png

ArchiCAD 26-5002; Windows 11; Intel i7-10700KF; 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1660

I want to code this into my coverings, could you all provide the variables? Then this could be achieved so easy.

And or set up a zoom and get down and dirty and make a covering happen for this scenario?

sknsnw9
Booster

Have you seen this video from Shoegnome using Create Openings from Selections? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68i6A2ansl4&t=3s

It works great cuttings complex profile walls at all the windows / doors in seconds.  If you moved the windows or doors, you can delete the openings and do it again.  I just did it for the first time.  I noticed that it didn't work the first time around.  After some some research and found that you need to have the casing turned on and make sure it extends past your siding thickness, then you can turn it off once you complete the task.

Archicad Solo 24 - 27 : Windows 10 Pro 64-bit : 16 GB ram / Intel Core i7-4770k @ 3.50GHz : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060