Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Complex rounded stairs

Karol Lozinski
Participant
I have a problem with creating stairs with shape as in the image I attached. It's kind of curvy, elliptical shape and it's very hard to make it I've tried to make them using Create stairs using selection but I keep getting this "line of travel endpoints must not connect to adjacent edges". I thought about complex profile but as I saw, it would create one massive staircase and what I need is and openwork staircase. Any ideas? [/img]

20160330_22494501.jpg
AC 27 Win 11
8 REPLIES 8
Erika Epstein
Booster
try breaking it into 2 stairs. I've noticed that Archicad often struggles when the geometry of the stair curves back on itself .
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not an expert on building stairs, but what I would do is model the stairs with the regular modelling tools of Archicad. (slab, Morphs, walls, roof, etc).
And also I will probably save it as a module, that way I have it as a unique element in my project.
But, again is an idea of what I would do, there is probably better ways to do it.
And It would be nice to know how you end up doing it, this could help other later.
Karol Lozinski
Participant
try breaking it into 2 stairs. I've noticed that Archicad often struggles when the geometry of the stair curves back on itself .

What do you mean? Making two separate stairs and then connecting them? And even though... How to make this rounded shape? StairMaker doesn't have and option like this. All of those stairs have right angles. There are ones with rounded edges but those are spiral stairs and they are not even close to what I'm trying to achieve

I'm not an expert on building stairs, but what I would do is model the stairs with the regular modelling tools of Archicad. (slab, Morphs, walls, roof, etc).

Just to be sure - so I have to calculate them manually and then model and place each element separately? Theres no other way to somehow make it faster? More accurate? Automatic?
AC 27 Win 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you do it the way I told you yes, But actually Erika's solution is better.
Instead of trying doing the stair in one shot, make to stairs half way and then just adjust any parameter needed.
Karol Lozinski
Participant
Can you tell me how you've made those gorgeous stairs? And what to do with "Line of travel endpoints must not connect to adjacent edges or nodes of the fill polygon"
AC 27 Win 11
Erika Epstein
Booster
yes. Also, that is a very long flight of stairs. There would probably be a landing which would be a natural place to break the run into two.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
I made it using " Create stairs using selection"
To accomplish this I draw the plan of the stair (meaning the footprint), then fill it, later offset one of the ovals (in this case) to the center of the run, and just select the fill and the arcs making the run (the one you offset in the center).
Is the same regular process of create stairs using selection, the only thing you will divided into two stairs. And as Erika said, you'll probably have a landing in the center, so make the landing with slab and every part should be a stair, it should work very nice
Karol Lozinski
Participant
I'm trying to do my best and I think we're really getting closer. The thing is those can't be just stairs. Those have to pass some requirements. And so: Step can't be higher than 17,5 cm; I can't have more than 17 steps in a single run; There has to be a landing at least 150 cm long. So I guess the best choice would be 13 steps in each run 16,2 cm high, 30 cm wide, both divided by landing, as Erica shown. Story above is 4200 cm high. Although I encountered some big issues. When I make stairs using Create Stair Using Selection I've got most of options locked. It makes it much more difficult to obtain. Are we getting back to modeling it manually or there's still hope?
AC 27 Win 11