BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Complicated roof with timber structure

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if someone could tell me if there is an easy way to design a complicated roof with a timber structure underneath it. Right now, I drew all the roof elements as single plane roofs, thereby segmenting the roof into different elements to allow for different inclinations. I added spurs and purlins with the roof maker tool but I had to modify most of them manually to get the correct angle, location, etc. As you can imagine, this was quite a lot of work and I am hoping there is an easier way to do it for when I have to do it in the future.

I know of two other ways to make roofs:
- Make roof from mesh;
- And make a shell roof.

But I don't know if these are better (and if so which one) for my situation. Do these tools allow for the angle of the roof to change along the length of the slope (in other words, how complicated can I make my roofs in terms of roof angles, etc.)? Do these tools allow for composite roofs? And, above all, is it easy to add structural elements to these roofs like spurs and purlins via the roof maker tool (or with another, free tool)?

I hope someone can point me in the right direction!

Thanks in advance,
Milan
2 REPLIES 2
Miha_M
Advisor
Speaking for myself only - I don't use the roofmaker tools and wizzard much, except in very simple roof geometry cases. Sometimes even in complicated roof structures there are simple segments, at which the roofmaker tools are usable, but in most cases I rather use the library parts. With editing those in 3D and 2D I can, most of the times, get the desired result.

| Archicad 4.55 - 27
| HP Z840 | 2× E5-2643 v4 | 64 GB RAM | Quadro M5000 | Windows 10 Pro x64
| HP Z4 G4 | W-2245 | 64 GB RAM | RTX A4000 | Windows 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well yes, that is how I have done it now as well, but that takes quite long. But yeah it works fine hahaha
Learn and get certified!