Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Composite Skins - A cautionary tale

DGSketcher
Legend
Following discussions with GS UK it would appear that although you can insert a skin with zero thickness in a composite wall the consequences in AC21 can be unexpected. I added one as a vapour membrane which needed to appear in the skin list label but technically had minimal thickness so a value of zero made sense.

In my case I was getting core dimensions changing to non core locations when adding or removing other skins, the section display was missing fills and in 3D part of the wall was missing.

I have suggested that GS need to fix this so that you can't enter a zero value but in the mean time always check a skin has a thickness!
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
2 REPLIES 2
Titiriga
Contributor
I also find that 0 thickness composite skins would be very useful. it would be much appreciated if it would become possible in the future.
Thanks.
Tim Ball
Expert
I find that thin skins in composites work quite well and show up better in detailing.

I also use the ability to change the linetype and colour that separates skins.

In the example attached there is a membrane skin and also a vent indicated using two fills adjoining separated by an arrow linetype.[img][/img]
Tim Ball

AC26, iMac

User since V5