Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Composite wall junctions in year 2022 and their inherited problems

ArchiMind
Advocate

Hello everybody,

My question and concern are that in the year 2022 composite wall and their junctions seems to be complicated, and often needs a lot of workarounds to achieve correct graphical representation.

To be precise, many T junctions are needed to be patched with complex columns, and  my opinion is, that in big designs this can become a potentially big potential problem.

Presenting this problem, I seek advice or strategies on how do you solve this problem of composite wall and their junction.

Chers,

Stefan

Versions 13 to 25
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core
RAM:32GB
GPU: RTX 2080Ti
Windows 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

Very tricky situation as you have 4 wall all trying to interact with each other.

Each wall will interact with one other wall automatically - so two walls no problem.

Bring in a third wall and it will want to interact with one of the other walls - but can't with both.

The junction order will help you to decide which wall interact with which other wall.

Bring in a fourth wall and you will have a bigger problem as you may get the 3 walls to trim happily, but now each wall needs to trim differently to 2 other adjacent walls.

The junction order will help fix one connection but will then break another.

I can get close by playing around with the location of the reference lines and not using junction order at all.

But it is still not perfect.

BarryKelly_0-1647252047064.png

I think 4 walls that are all different composites meeting at the same point is just too much and a complex profile column is the best option.

There is also the "Create patch object" (search for that in the reference guide) which will create a 2D object overlay that you can open and edit the 2D symbol.

That is what we had to do before we had complex profile columns.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Hi @ArchiMind ,in these cases i use Adjust to slab options that let me connect the wall core to the slab core and the layer finish to slab bottom, like this .,, and for complex walls I use offset modifiers that let you connect every wall layer with the appropriate opposite slab layer,

Check these videos :

https://youtu.be/MO6xb_-V7DI
https://youtu.be/mkqxLGhEbIA

AC 27 INT 5003 - AC 26 INT 6019 ( For MEP Purposes )
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB

Hello @Mahmoud Qenawi,

I am not talking about the wall and slab connection. I am taking about wall to wall connection, to be precise T junction of the composite wall. 🙂

Cheers,

Stefan

Versions 13 to 25
Windows 11

Can you show examples of your problems?

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
ArchiMind
Advocate

Typical example of the pointed problem

ArchiMind_1-1647247712844.png

I also played with junction order, but with no luck

Stefan

Versions 13 to 25
Windows 11
DGSketcher
Legend

@ArchiMind Tricky one, is it a lack of intuition on the part of the user or over expectation of software capability? 😉 I think you have to recognise the limits of the AC software to manage every possible building assembly and remember you are working with an architectural DRAWING package, not a construction robot. The use of complex columns has been a solution to these difficult junctions for a long time. 

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

I have the same problem, the orange hand drawn part should be insulation and not concrete. The only way to solve this is to duplicate materials and give them different priorities, but this really hurts my brain.

Graphisoft should really add the possibility to deactivate automatic connection and let the user to adjust the length of each wall layer (as modifiiers do on complex profiles).

image.png

Screenshot 2022-03-14 at 09.28.28.png

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
ArchiMind
Advocate

Hello @DGSketcher ,

The expectation of the software is to deliver the detail that has been given. As for the approach, I am well aware of the given solution with the complex columns, but, this alone is very dangerous, especially in designing big projects. The simplicity for users is gone, and room for human error is great.
Maybe software implementation should head in direction as @henryL  mentioned: "Graphisoft should really add the possibility to deactivate automatic connection and let the user to adjust the length of each wall layer (as modifiers do on complex profiles)."

We are in 2022 now, and this kind of problem should stay in past, not prolonged with each new version. Wall is an essential tool that needs to be given a lot of attention.

Don't get me wrong, I have been using Archicad since 2009, I even made the company where I work to switch from AutoCAD to Archicad, but when I have to deal with this kind of issue, it makes me lose time, and strength to be productive. All my critique is based on loving the software, and seeing its potential to grow even better 🙂

Cheers,

Stefan

Versions 13 to 25
Windows 11

Hi @ArchiMind , I see your case can be solved in Archicad just some fixes, first one of the RC walls should invert it’s reference line then intersect together, second the horizontal  and vertical masonry walls should be adjusted to the outer edge of RC walls, try this it may help.

AC 27 INT 5003 - AC 26 INT 6019 ( For MEP Purposes )
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB