Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Composites and Intersection Priority

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,

I've been playing around with Composites and Intersection Priority now for a while, and seem to be getting the deal with it quite well, and it's a wonderful and intuitive tool when everything works! But, there are a lot of things that I can't do, and when I search forums I can't really find that much about it. If there is some tutorial handling more advanced questions (tutorials tend to only cover the basics) please post it and I will have a look!

(I have read posts like https://blog.graphisoftus.com/archicad-education/tips-and-tricks/building-materials-three-examples-t... and https://blog.graphisoftus.com/archicad-education/tips-and-tricks/building-materials-one-example-to-r... that discuss this matter a bit, but I think my questions are more basic questions, that I would guess there are ways to cope with!)

I will post just 3 quick things that I find odd, that I presume a lot of people have had to handle. I'll divide it into three different posts.

First question (see q_1.png)

Labels show the skins (hope you don't mind the swedish!) and I wrote the materials' Intersection Priority on the side.

Two types of walls and their intersection.
1 - Here everything works fine. This is ok by me.
2 - But when they meet at a corner - how would you do this? (by the way, why are the two top layers of the thinner wall extending past the structure of the thicker wall?)
3 - My solution would be to create copies of the wall types and add "outisde corner" to the name, and assign a stronger plasterboard (here 920) to the outside of both composites. But A) Extra work and adds uncomfortable duplicates to both the material list and composite list... and B) It doesn't really work - see picture. Is there any way to understand or control when it shows the cut line of the material or the skin separator line of the other composite?

q_1.png
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable
Second question (see q_2.png)

Let's say I wasn't happy with the way the walls intersected in the first place, and I want the two boards of the thinner wall to end at the outer board of the thicker wall. I would solve this by making weaker versions of the boards as I did in the picture.

This question has some similarities to the first one, but is there any way to in this case control it as to show the cut lines of the two boards instead of the outer skin separator line of the thick wall? How do you all solve this?

My work around that I have used sometimes is to place a skin of 0,1 mm "air" (with priority 0) on the inside and outside of every composite, and have the thick line outside of that. It's a bit buggy, A) messes up 3D a bit, B) doesn't always work, C) messes up schedules, D) using the wall end tool doesn't really work as good as the one I like to use only wraps around one layer of the wall.

So if anyone has an easier solution to this, I would love to know!
q_2.png
Anonymous
Not applicable
Third question (see q_3.png)

How do you handle composites and how they interact with doors in section?
1 - is there any way to control this part and wrap around some layers? In the door settings (of the built-in door object - maybe this is the key - do you all use / do your own even more advanced door/windows?) I can only control it in plan.

2 - just a side question, and I'm not sure if I ever would like it to... but just to understand how things work: why doesn't the wall continue down under the door? If i raise the door 0,1 mm up the wall will continue. But maybe this is just a smart feature, hehe.

3 - One way of dealing with the mentioned question of wrapping round the edge would be to set the material's cut in the composite to the same thickness as the outer edge. This makes a lot of good things, but the thicker line that is added above is to me very problematic.

Do you generally set the material's cut pen in composites to be thick as the outside or thin as the inside? To me it feels best to put it thin and use smart tools as wall end tool, door/window reveal settings and such things, but when it's not possible in some occasions, as in this example, I get insecure...
q_3.png
bouhmidage
Advisor

it's 2022 and still suffering at corners, there is some random behaviour at T juctions, corners, and wall reference line position, 

you have to handle at least 5 parameters to set a good connection, 

it's a mess

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 10 GB
Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
https://www.behance.net/Nuance-Architects

What issues are you having?

Generally 'T' and 'L' intersections are no problem at all.

Strong building material will cut through weaker ones.

The more wall skins you have, the trickier it will get.

And different composite walls trimming can work in one situation but not in another.

You may find that you have to duplicate the same building material to allow for different strengths.

i.e. inside plaster/outside plaster, inside insulation/outside insulation.

Even brick skins, you may need a weak, medium and strong version of the same building material.

I am not saying that absolutely every situation will be automatically solved, especially when you have 3 or more walls all connecting at the same point.

If you can show some examples of what is not working, maybe we can help.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
bouhmidage
Advisor

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 10 GB
Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
https://www.behance.net/Nuance-Architects

Is this what you are trying to achieve?

It is just a matter of creating building materials with the correct strengths - strongest cuts weakest.

BarryKelly_0-1647999560237.png

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Lingwisyer
Guru

The issue with that is that sometimes your 400 material is the same as your 100 material, which may end up causing the reverse issue at other corners, for example say on the opposite end of the thin wall you have another double leaf wall continuing upward.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 

Not a problem at all if you keep the outside material on the outside and the inside material on the inside.

BarryKelly_0-1648018659787.png

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Upwards. Which results in your 200 cutting your 100.

Lingwisyer_0-1648023656696.png

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660