BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Concrete pattern - background fill/foreground?

rob2218
Enthusiast
see attached.
need to show a "concrete pattern" inside the wall composite.
using a MVO thats geared toward shades rather than a construction document type view.
How best to accomplish now showing a concrete stipple pattern inside the concrete basement wall "IN ADDITION" to maintaining these "shades inside the walls?

Wall-HatchSMALL.jpg
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
16 REPLIES 16
Barry Kelly
You can't do this if you are overriding the fills in the MVO settings.

But you can set up your Building Material fill to use a 'concrete' style fill with a light grey background pen and a darker foreground pen for the hatch pattern.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
rob2218
Enthusiast
humm...bummer.
well, what I've had to resort to...which defeats the whole "BIM" purpose is add a cover fill type hatch over in the areas that are "concrete".
Due to the architects rather unique criteria for how drawings should look, this is what I had to do.

here's what it looks like. Wish I could get the same results simply with a MVO adjustment.
CONCRETE-FILL-SMALL.jpg
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Anonymous
Not applicable
Not quite sure I'm following, but if you want to show shaded fill in plan and concrete fill in section, you can do this with pen sets. Assign a unique pen to your concrete fill. In plan view set your pen set to show the fill pen the same grey as the background pen, in the section view your pen set will have the fill pen black and the background pen grey. Of course with this method you can not use the "Uniform pen for cut elements" option in section settings, so every element must be set up to show correctly in section.
rob2218
Enthusiast
what's happening is as follows:
1. in plan, the architect wants to "see" grey walls (ALL grey walls) therefore we've set a MVO that shows the walls as a light grey. Its more of a combo "presentation" type MVO which depicts the walls with no separator lines and shade of grey.
2. Now..the basement "concrete walls we still need to be using that same MVO (grey walls) but...now we need to "see" the concrete hatch pattern fill without going into any "construction documentation" type MVO.
3. In section..we need to "see" the 'concrete fill' pattern in the walls that are, well, concrete as a building material.

so...what's happening is that I need to see my section as a "grey fill" yet, at the same time be able to see the "concrete basement walls" in with their concrete pattern.....so it appears I can either have an MVO option that shows "ALL" the view as a construction document type level or ALL the view as a "presentation type" (grey shaded filled walls) level but i can't have a piece of one MVO and a piece of the other MVO combined.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
rob2218 wrote:
i can't have a piece of one MVO and a piece of the other MVO combined.
Sure you can. Just stack views in Layout.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
rob2218
Enthusiast
dunno that this would work in this instance.
I'd have to be "stacking" ONLY the hatch pattern so I'd have these 'irregulaly shaped' viewmaps all over the place "just" to get the hatch pattern to be inside the walls....dunno.
Richard wrote:
rob2218 wrote:
i can't have a piece of one MVO and a piece of the other MVO combined.
Sure you can. Just stack views in Layout.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
I have no idea what these "irregularly shaped View Maps" have to do with anything, or what they would be. Create a View that has only concrete walls with the concrete hatching. Send to layout. Do your gray wall view. Send to layout. Put one on top of the other, and drag so they overlap precisely. Would take at least 2 minutes -- if you're really slow. (TIP: Group them together.)

I do this all the time to get a grayed out plan background with the electrical information or framing information popping out.
Richard
rob2218
Enthusiast
Background for electrical information?
huh? wouldn't you just use an "electrical" penset that makes the electrical objects 'bolder'?
dunno. anyhow....
Richard wrote:
I have no idea what these "irregularly shaped View Maps" have to do with anything, or what they would be. Create a View that has only concrete walls with the concrete hatching. Send to layout. Do your gray wall view. Send to layout. Put one on top of the other, and drag so they overlap precisely. Would take at least 2 minutes -- if you're really slow. (TIP: Group them together.)

I do this all the time to get a grayed out plan background with the electrical information or framing information popping out.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
rob2218 wrote:
Background for electrical information?
huh? wouldn't you just use an "electrical" penset that makes the electrical objects 'bolder'?
Certainly possible, but takes time to set up and then manage pens very carefully. I always seem to make a few mistakes. I think it's just faster to have a "Walls Only" view, where you can just take a view and change all the pens to gray. And another view of "Electrical Only" where you can change all the pens to black.
Richard
Learn and get certified!