Design forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Construction Joints / reveals: how to model?

JasonBarish
Newcomer
Does anybody have any good suggestions on how to model reveals (ie construction joints in concrete or stucco) in walls? The problem I'm having is that the using the old long skinny niche trick doesn't turn corners and leaves little pieces at intersection. Is also a pain to make horizontals.

The results of the log wall method is really all I need, but my joints are not evenly spaced, and I also need verticals. Not about to spend $200 (!) for the joint maker untility. Seems like there ought to be a better way to do this. Any tips much appreciated.

BTW I'm on 7 still, not 8.
11 REPLIES 11

Richard Morrison
Advocate
Try the Trussmaker tool. (Really!) You can draw lines in elevation pretty much wherever you want, convert to a VERY skinny truss and it looks pretty good in a model, even though the reveals project out, rather than in. You can't really tell.

Of course if you upgrade to 8, you could use SEOs and do it "right".
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
"The Kitchen Architect"
http://www.richardmorrison.com
AC24 (since AC6.0), Win10

JasonBarish
Newcomer
Richard wrote:
Try the Trussmaker tool. (Really!) You can draw lines in elevation pretty much wherever you want, convert to a VERY skinny truss and it looks pretty good in a model, even though the reveals project out, rather than in. You can't really tell.

Of course if you upgrade to 8, you could use SEOs and do it "right".
Thanks for the Tip, Richard. Am doing a pretty high-resolution image and the corners are visible. Truss method might be ok w/ post work in photoshop. For that matter, I could just make my niches of zero depth and just darken them.

Guess I'll have to try to talk my boss into spending the extra $,$$$ to upgrade to 8. Am sort of dissappointed that AC doesn't have a simple method for this... seems like a common modelling operation.

Richard Morrison
Advocate
Jason:

Trust me, if you make a 1" high x 1/8" thick, dark grey band, tight to the wall, you won't be able to tell if it's recessed or projecting, even at a very high resolution, unless you're zoomed in very close.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
"The Kitchen Architect"
http://www.richardmorrison.com
AC24 (since AC6.0), Win10

Karl Ottenstein
JasonBarish wrote:
Guess I'll have to try to talk my boss into spending the extra $,$$$ to upgrade to 8. Am sort of dissappointed that AC doesn't have a simple method for this... seems like a common modelling operation.
Shouldn't be disappointed when using an older version of the software. 😉 AC does have a simple method for this: SEO in 8.1 with Trussmaker, as Richard has said.

Karl
One of the forum moderators   •   AC 25 USA and earlier   •   MacOS 11.6, iMac Pro

bill shorten
Newcomer
if it's just an image you're after then do it with a material assignment

use the alpha channel as a bump map

vertical joints will obviously only work if they are regularly spaced as per your texture

Matthew Lohden
Newcomer
JasonBarish wrote:
Guess I'll have to try to talk my boss into spending the extra $,$$$ to upgrade to 8.
The upgrade to AC8.1 is a HUGE improvement. It is money very well spent.
Matthew Lohden
Consultant, SF CA

MacPro 8core 32GB Radeon 5870
OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion, XP32, Win 7x64

Aussie John
Newcomer
In my experience CJs arent always equally setout and can need to be individually placed. Hence alternative is to make a library part- an object can show a vertical line (or two) in 3d or if you need to model it create a window which back fills the wall materials leaving a little rebate.

the GDL scripting of the first option is pretty simple
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]

Amanda Mason
Newcomer
We use RevealMaker, which you can find at objectsonline.com

Dave Brach
Booster

I would like to revisit this question. I always used small slabs with SEO to do this, but recently thought that the "opening" tool might work better.  It seems to work OK, but I'm having 2 problems:  first, in plan they show up in a way that I do not like and it's impossible to turn them off because they are a part of the wall;  second, they don't seem to want to wrap around wall corners?  I think that maybe just using SEO to create reveals is better.  How do other people do this?Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 10.02.08 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-09-23 at 10.01.55 AM.png

Dave Brach/architect
Salt Lake City USA
www.brachdesign.com
AC24 MBP OS Catalina 10.15.7
2.6 GHz 6core intel core i7 16 GB RAM
Radeon Pro 555X 4096 MB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

You could also simply place Beams for the reveals. The Intersection Priority Number of the Beam's Building Material should be high enough so it cut the Wall skins.

This is a simple solution because Priority-based Connections are automatically created between Walls and Beam when they collide in 3D (it is actually an automatic SEO performed internally by Archicad).

Then you can place those Beam on a separate Layer which you can easily hide in various Layer Combinations so only the reveals cut by them are visible. You can also make their Layer wireframe so the result of their cut is visible even when the Beams are displayed (in wireframe).

....................................................................................................
Laszlo Nagy, Lead Moderator, Community Admin
Get Archicad Tips at https://twitter.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen 1700X CPU, 48 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), WIN10 PRO ENG, AC20-AC25
Loving Archicad since 1995

Eduardo Rolon

Using the opening tool for the corners you will need to attach the other wall to to opening, then it will clean.

eduardo rolón AIA NCARB
Another of the forum moderators.
Macbook Pro 2.4 i9 32GB ram
OS X 10.XX latest
AC25 US/INT -> AC08

Didn't find the answer? Start a new discussion

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!