BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Construction Joints / reveals: how to model?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does anybody have any good suggestions on how to model reveals (ie construction joints in concrete or stucco) in walls? The problem I'm having is that the using the old long skinny niche trick doesn't turn corners and leaves little pieces at intersection. Is also a pain to make horizontals.

The results of the log wall method is really all I need, but my joints are not evenly spaced, and I also need verticals. Not about to spend $200 (!) for the joint maker untility. Seems like there ought to be a better way to do this. Any tips much appreciated.

BTW I'm on 7 still, not 8.
11 REPLIES 11
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

You could also simply place Beams for the reveals. The Intersection Priority Number of the Beam's Building Material should be high enough so it cut the Wall skins.

This is a simple solution because Priority-based Connections are automatically created between Walls and Beam when they collide in 3D (it is actually an automatic SEO performed internally by Archicad).

Then you can place those Beam on a separate Layer which you can easily hide in various Layer Combinations so only the reveals cut by them are visible. You can also make their Layer wireframe so the result of their cut is visible even when the Beams are displayed (in wireframe).

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Eduardo Rolon

Using the opening tool for the corners you will need to attach the other wall to to opening, then it will clean.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Learn and get certified!