Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Converting AC10 objects to AC11

Anonymous
Not applicable
How do you use objects and favorites that you created in AC10 in AC11? Some show up in my favorites palette but some dont, especially my doors and windows. Thanks for the help!
8 REPLIES 8
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
That would depend on what library you have loaded -- if you used the AC10 AOL in AC10, and have the AC11 AOL loaded along with the AC10 Subset Library in AC11, there should not be any problems (ie. missing Favorites). If you used a custom library in AC10, loading that library instead of the AOL in AC11 should restore your Favorites.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks...I'm not sure what the AOL library is. My library is custom, none of my doors or windows and a majority of my objects from AC 10 are shaded out in my favorites palette in AC 11, even after unloading my library and reloading it. Any other ideas??
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
AOL = Archicad Object Library

The only other thing I can think of is missing layers. Have you opened an AC10 file in AC11, or are you merging an AC10 file into AC11?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I created the drawing in AC 11 and I'm trying to load my custom libraries that I used in AC 10 into the library manager in AC 11. But even when I try opening an AC 10 project in AC 11 its missing a bunch of favorites and objects, all my wdws and doors, even after I've reloaded the libraries and favorites. Even modules arent loading the windows. I dont know if this helps but my favorites are .prf files and my objects in my library are .gsm with some .gdl, .gd$, .win as well. I apologize if this seems basic, I'm not up to date on what all the file extensions mean but I'm really trying to learn!
TomWaltz
Participant
In my experience, object favorites don't transfer from version to version. The libraries change too much.

New parameters are created to take advantage of new features, so keeping the old libraries is often an undesirable option. For example, going from AC10 to AC11 broke a lot of section/elevation marker links if you kept the AC10 library.

You can count on having to recreate favorites if you upgrade from one version to another. Even if you use "visual favorites", you still have some maintenance to do with new releases.
Tom Waltz
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
TomWaltz wrote:
In my experience, object favorites don't transfer from version to version. The libraries change too much.
Huh -- ours transferred just fine (with the AC10 Subset Library loaded).
TomWaltz
Participant
Laura wrote:
TomWaltz wrote:
Huh -- ours transferred just fine (with the AC10 Subset Library loaded).
Are you loading the AC10 subset into all your new AC11 projects? If so, will you continue to do so in AC12? (presumably loading AC10 and AC11 subsets?)

Sooner or later you might want to cut the cord to old versions. Subset libraries work pretty well when upgrading a project from one version to the next, but not when upgrading an entire office and starting new projects in new versions.
Tom Waltz
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Our AC11 Template does contain the Subset Library; however, all Subset Library Objects have been given a suffix of "_X". This was a safeguard during migration, and staff have been told not to place any new objects with the "_X" suffix. We did, of course, end up redefining our Marker Favorites, due to the new features in AC11. If we were to upgrade to AC12 (we're not ), I would discontinue use of the AC10 Subset Library.

What I like about the Subset Library is I can place outdated custom parts there, and introduce new and improved parts in our office library without messing up projects that are well underway.