Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Correct display of roofs

Anonymous
Not applicable
See attached. I have two roofs, a main and a side roof. The side roof is overframed onto the main roof, but a piece of it goes under the main roof. I want this to show correctly in plan. If I adjust the display order, it either shows the entire side roof above the main, or it hides it below.

I posted this a while ago, but I can't seem to make the old method work. http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=38191&highlight=
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable
3D view
You may be looking for a 3D document approach, as demonstrated here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hVsyCu6vFw
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Anonymous
Not applicable
I need this to show accurately on all my floor plans. I don't think a 3D document will work here.
Zoltan Fuchs
Booster
Hi Steven, maybe this will works:

1. Select the two roof planes
2. Right mouse click>Connect>Merge Elements
i7-4770K / 16GB / GTX560 2GB / 512GB SSD / Win10 64bit
AC21 (HUN-64 bit) / Bimx Pro / Revit 2017
Anonymous
Not applicable
Zoltan,

Unfortunately, no.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Steven:

Here are two options. First select the over-framed roof, right-click and select Connect > Trim Elements to Roof/Shell, click the main roof, and then click on the part of the over-framed roof you want to remain. The main roof will cut away the over-framed roof. Then:
1. For the main roof, Roof Settings > Model > Trimming Body > Pivot Lines down (rather than Contours down) will trim the over-framed roof at the Pivot Line, not the edge. This will work if the Pivot Line is where the over-framed roof needs to end.
2. If adjusting the Pivot Line creates problems elsewhere in the model, then add another over-framed roof piece under the main roof, select the 2 over-framed roofs, right-click > Connect > Merge Elements.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
David,

Thanks for the reply. I tried it but it's still not working. I understand how to trim the roof, but my problem is I want it to look correct in 2D view on floor plans. This is what it still looks like after trying your method.
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is how I want it to look, with the portion of the side roof that is under the main roof hidden by the main roof.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Maybe this can't be done? As a workaround, I could use 2D fills and lines to make it happen.