Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Cover wall beams

Kodi
Contributor

I’ve been having some issues with regards to making my walls cover the beams in 3D visualization. Does anyone have a technique or method to extend the walls over beams?

image.jpg

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Barry Kelly

If the wall has building materials that are stronger than the building materials in the beam, you should find the wall cuts the beam automatically.

If it is the other way around, the beam will cut the wall, which might be what you are seeing.

The layer intersection priority number must be the same for for the automatic trimming to take effect (if the beams and walls are in different layer).

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

Solution

It would be your finish thickness, that if you wanted to, you could turn off in plan using the Partial Structure Display

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Ransom Ratcliff
Enthusiast

In the Layer Settings, try changing the Layer Intersection Group Number for the beams layer so that it is different from the walls layer number. BTW, this setting is stored by the Layer Combination, along with Show/Hide, Lock/Unlock, Solid/Wire-frame, for each layer.

Ransom Ratcliff
RATCLIFF CONSULTING LLC
Charrette Venture Group
ArchiCAD 4.55 - 26
Autodesk Certified Professional in Revit
macOS + Windows
Lingwisyer
Guru

Could you add a skin to your walls?

Wouldn’t  that affect my wall thickness in plan?

Solution
Barry Kelly

If the wall has building materials that are stronger than the building materials in the beam, you should find the wall cuts the beam automatically.

If it is the other way around, the beam will cut the wall, which might be what you are seeing.

The layer intersection priority number must be the same for for the automatic trimming to take effect (if the beams and walls are in different layer).

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Solution

It would be your finish thickness, that if you wanted to, you could turn off in plan using the Partial Structure Display

Ransom Ratcliff
Enthusiast

Ok, we need some more clarity on the existing conditions and the goal. I assumed the following:

• If anything, the beam should cut a wall, not the other way around.
  • The exterior skin of the wall was in front of the beams, not coplanar.
  • The beams were cleaning up to the walls because their reference lines were connecting.
  • The intersection of the beams, which were made of materials with higher intersection priority, were cutting into the walls.
  • we don't want to change the building material intersection priorities.

If so, maybe adjusting the reference line location of the walls to avoid intersection, would help. (There is a button for this that avoids moving the volume of the wall.)

Failing that, I suggested changing the intersection group number of the layers so that the beam and wall elements ignore each other, which would stop the effect of the beams on the walls.

Forgive me if there is more to this problem than meets the eye.

Ransom Ratcliff
RATCLIFF CONSULTING LLC
Charrette Venture Group
ArchiCAD 4.55 - 26
Autodesk Certified Professional in Revit
macOS + Windows

Thanks a lot, I tried this and it worked. I didn’t know about partial Partial Structure Display.