Parametric design
About Rhino & Grasshopper and PARAM-O.

Create Building Materials from Excel with Grasshopper?

splinter
Contributor

Hello,

I've encountered a situation where I'd like to parametricelly modify the properties of building materials in Archicad. Preferably, even create entirely new building materials from within Grasshopper. I have a long list of material properties in an excel file which I want to translate to building materials in Archicad. I didn't manage to find any components in Grasshopper which would enable me to to do this. 

If you suspect I might have missed a relevant Grasshopper component or if you know of an alternative approach to my problem, please let me know. I'd appreciate any pointers to this matter.

Best regards,

Splinter

archicad_building_materials_properties.jpg

Architect | Computational Designer
ArchiCAD 25 | Win 11 | 4800HS | RTX 2060 | 16 GB RAM | 1 TB SSD
www.johanwall.com
7 REPLIES 7
bouhmidage
Advisor

can you share a screenshot of your grasshopper code ? so i can see how i can help 

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 10 GB
Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
https://www.behance.net/Nuance-Architects
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor

You need to wait for deeper deconstruct from GS. Make a wish for christmas 202X.

AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.

Since I haven't found any Grasshopper nodes to adress building material parameters in Archicad, there is not much of a grasshopper file to post.

www.johanwall.com

That's worst case scenario... Any rumors on/if proper deconstruct nodes are WIP? 

www.johanwall.com
greg_lupo
Booster

Hi,

Export to xml one building material from Attributes Manager and then play with it.

It may be possible to inject data from xls to that xml duplicate and then import back to Archicad whole bunch of new building materials.  I will do some proof of concept as well

Archcad XML files are complex , and can't be mapped in microsoft Excel, or an XML Editor, 

Few months ago, i tried to manage my classifications using XML inside Ecel / XMl editors, i didn't find any interesting workflow, 

we need a REAL attributes manager, that can edit, rename, add data, import / export from excel , to enlarge the materials list,  Same for classifications, 

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 10 GB
Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
https://www.behance.net/Nuance-Architects

..hold my beer...