BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Create a Roof

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi. How can we create this roof ? Is there any way to create it.
Please explain me.

PaperFoldStruct1.jpg
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
smhbrv wrote:
Hi. How can we create this roof ? Is there any way to create it.
Please explain me.
Please help me.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
smhbrv:

Create each roof plane with the desired slope and direction using the Single-plane Roof geometry option. Then connect the planes using the intersect command. In the Help files see: Elements of the Virtual Building > Construction Elements > Roofs > Editing Roofs > Intersect Single-plane Roofs.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
David wrote:
smhbrv:

Create each roof plane with the desired slope and direction using the Single-plane Roof geometry option. Then connect the planes using the intersect command. In the Help files see: Elements of the Virtual Building > Construction Elements > Roofs > Editing Roofs > Intersect Single-plane Roofs.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
Thank you for your help. I try this but I dont create this model.
Can you create this model with a video. ? I dont find a formula "how can i do this.
Anonymous
Not applicable
smhbrv wrote:
David wrote:
smhbrv:

David
Thank you for your help. I try this but I dont create this model.
Can you create this model with a video. ? I dont find a formula "how can i do this.
Help me please.
Dave Seabury
Advocate
smhbrv

Take a look at the you tube channel for Archicad.
look for videos on the roof tool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO7W-T6T0JU

David
AC 19-24 Windows 10 64 bit, Dell Prercision 7820, Xeon Silver 2414R ( 12 Cores), 64 GB Ram, Quadro RTX 4000 8GB
Lingwisyer
Guru
There's an object called "Mesh_3d" which you could possibly use if you don't want the intersections between the roof planes created when using the Single Plane Roof tool. Set the thickness and the node grid to 9x3 then in the 3d window, stretch the nodes to their relevant position.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Barry Kelly
It is quite easy to do in 3D.
Model 3 columns for the 3 apex heights for the first roof section.
Use a zero thickness polygon single roof plane and click on points 1, 2 & 3 to define the roof slope.
Then click points 1, 2, 3 and 1 again to define the shape of the roof surface.

Now do the same for 4, 5 and 6 - once to define the roof pitch and again to define the shape of the roof surface (click points 4, 5, 6, and 4 again to define the surface).
I used guidelines to get the position of point 4 but you could place another column.

Now you have these 2 planes, you can mirror copies to get the rest.

Now if you want you can select them all ad add a thickness.
For some reason it does not work well if you set the thickness before defining the roofs.

Barry.

Edits in red
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
It is quite easy to do in 3D.
Model 3 columns for the 3 apex heights for the first roof section.
Use a zero thickness polygon single roof plane and click on points 1, 2 & 3 to define the roof slope.
Then click points 1, 2 and 3 again to define the shape of the roof surface.

Now do the same for 4, 5 and 6 - once to define the roof pitch and again to define the shape of the roof surface.
I used guidelines to get the position of point 4 but you could place another column.

Now you have these 2 planes, you can mirror copies to get the rest.

Now if you want you can select them all ad add a thickness.
For some reason it does not work well if you set the thickness before defining the roofs.

Barry.
Thank you for your help. But its too hard for me Can you explain this with a video please ?
Barry Kelly
smhbrv wrote:
Thank you for your help. But its too hard for me Can you explain this with a video please ?
I can try but I will have to do it a little later.
It really won't tell you any more than explained.

Each of your roof planes have 3 points.
You need to establish the heights of these points in 3D - hence the columns.
Now all you do is set the roof tool as shown in the image and click on the first 3 points (top centre of the columns) to determine the roof plane slope.
Click the same 3 points again to place the roof plane.
Do the same for the next 3 points (4, 5 & 6).
Now you have all you need - just a matter of mirroring copies to get the complete roof.

I will look at making a video later today, unless you solve it in the mean time.
Or somebody else beats me to it.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!