BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Create sloped butterfly roof

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I'm trying to create a butterfly roof that is sloped. So essentially you have the butterfly form (it slopes down by 3 degree to the valley) and then the whole roof slopes by 7 degress from one end of the building to the other. How do I go about doing this? (I'm an Archicad beginner)

Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

You simply drag the end node of the pivot line (single plane roof).

BarryKelly_0-1655170448045.png

Or you can rotate the entire roof and re-adjust the boundary points.

But either of these methods, you will have to figure out where you need the pivot line located.

Use the 3 point placement method Laszlo mentioned.

Determine the height of your roof at 3 known points - use walls you already have in place or add extra columns or walls just to get the heights you need.

Then place the roof in 3D, single plane roof with complex (polygon not rectangular) construction method.

The first 3 points you place will determine the pitch of the roof and then you define the perimeter shape.

You can pick any points for the perimeter and you can adjust it afterwards as well.

BarryKelly_1-1655171261490.png

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Thank you! The 3-point placement with varying column heights worked like a charm. 

tony

Archicad 25 · MacBook Pro 2021, Apple M1 Max with 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine, 32GB unified memory · macOS Monterey
Learn and get certified!