Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Creating an object in a 3-dimensional coordinate system

Anonymous
Not applicable
What's the best way to create an object (or a slab, or whatever is the best option...) between the yellow and the blue shapes.

The red hexagon is horizontal, and the others are rotated in different angles using the z line.

So basically the question is, that how can i create an object (in this case, a triangle) using three different points in a 3-dimensional coordinate system?

Hopefully the attached image tells enough about the situation.

-M
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
Make the shape of your object using a slab, save it as a GDL object, then open the GDL object to edit it. When the GDL object is opened for editing, go to the 3D Script section, and type in the following Code (with the assumption that the angle is 3.5 just for an example):

ROTX 3.5

Put this at the very top of the 3D Script section.

You may have to try different angles to get it to work correctly, but just replace the 3.5 (above) with whatever angle ends of working.

HTH
Anonymous
Not applicable
marcusk wrote:
how can i create an object (in this case, a triangle) using three different points in a 3-dimensional coordinate system?
Hi Marcus,

Maybe Peter Devlin's post from this thread
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=22847&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=roof+pi...
could help you.

Cheers,

Adrian Tudoreanu
Anonymous
Not applicable
qwsoftdraw wrote:
Make the shape of your object using a slab, save it as a GDL object, then open the GDL object to edit it.
I actually have made a slab, then turned it into a GDL object. But the new object never fits perfectly into the hole. Is there a way to strech the objects corners to different points in 3D coordinate system? Without it resizing the hole object, that is.
That would be the easiest way for me, because I have to fill guite many of those "holes". If I could use just one or two objects (shaped a triangle and a square) and stretch the corners in to right places.

Also, thanks for the advises. I will try to work with them later today.

-M
Anonymous
Not applicable
i would use a mesh 1,

then copy the mesh 2 and lower it to the thickness of the other objects, then SEO one mesh from the other then hide mesh 2.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Use the "Roof Tool" direct in 3D Window.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for all the help guys. Found the help I was looking for behind Adrians link.
Turns out, that in 3D view you can draw a roof using those three known points. I now filled that triangle shaped hole, next up is a square hole. Hopefully it works the same way.

I haven't used ArchiCAD that long, and the mesh tool is new to me. Or actually I have never heard about it before. That sounds something worth studying for. Also I'm using the finnish version, so I'm not sure what it's called here

-M
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
marcusk wrote:
I now filled that triangle shaped hole, next up is a square hole. Hopefully it works the same way.
marcusk:

Only if the 4 points are on the same plane, otherwise you will need to use 2 triangles.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14