BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Curtain Wall Hole

Emre Senoglu
Expert
(Apologies if this has been requested before - I couldn't see it in a search)

The ability to cut holes in curtain walls is highly needed! The same functionality that exists when creating a slab, roof or landscape should make its way to the CW tool.
AC26 ARM // MBP M2 Max // Twinmotion | Corona | Rhino

www.senoglu.dk

4 REPLIES 4
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
This is possible to do since AC22. Just draw a closed polygon using Frames in Edit mode and delete Frames and Panels in the resulting hole.
In previous versions it was possible to draw a Section/Elevation parallel to the Curtain Wall, then convert the Curtain Wall boundary to a Fill, create a Hole into the Fill, then convert it back to the Curtain Wall Boundary.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Hmooslechner
Rockstar
You can make no holes. You can, as Laszlo wrote, simply not display some frames and pannels. This are no holes.

In every other polygonal tool, it is possible to draw holes, bur not in this tool. It should be! really!
AC5.5-AC27EduAut, PC-Win10, MacbookAirM1, MacbookM1Max, Win-I7+Nvidia
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Ok, I checked it. Those older commands are still available. They are just not on the menu, but you can add them. They are:

- Add Fill to Boundary
- Extract Boundary to Fill
- Redefine Boundary from Fill
- Subtract Fill from Boundary

And yes, when you create a Fill from the boundary, and then place a Hole into the Fill, it will modify the Boundary polygon of the Curtain Wall so there will be a Hole in it (you will not be able to place a Panel into that Hole).
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Emre Senoglu
Expert
Thanks Laszlo - these methods indeed do work, but as far as I'm concerned they're outdated and complicated ways of doing something that should be very simple. Editing the frames is way more cumbersome than being able to edit the boundary freely. Maybe not the most important feature right now, however I think it would be a nice addition to such a versatile tool as CW.
AC26 ARM // MBP M2 Max // Twinmotion | Corona | Rhino

www.senoglu.dk

Learn and get certified!