Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Curved / filleted window reveals

Bruce
Expert
How would I go about modelling curved / filleted window reveals? This sort of option isn't available in the reveal options, or in the GDL WALLHOLE capabilities. I'm thinking the only way is to create a custom object, and perform an SEO on all the openings.

Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC26 5002 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
7 REPLIES 7
Barry Kelly
I would probably use a morph profile that gets tubed around the opening and the SEOed.

In 23 you could use a complex profile column and complex profile beam with a vertical curve and again SEO.
This way you can easily adjust the profile or curve (arch) without having to redo the morph.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
DGSketcher
Legend
Here’s a knowledgebase article doing a similar thing. I think you would need to adapt to an open profile to achieve your objective. The downside may be getting the arc resolution you need on the chamfers.
https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/25565/

Barry’s beam column solution would be my first preference if you have AC23
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Bruce
Expert
Thanks - I didn't think there was an integrated way to achieve this. Pity a variant WALLHOLE command doesn't exist.

These two options above would necessitate cleaning up the 2D in plan, if I'm not mistaken...
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC26 5002 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
Barry Kelly
Bruce wrote:
These two options above would necessitate cleaning up the 2D in plan, if I'm not mistaken...
Yes, SEO does not show in plan view.

There may be a way to do it with GDL.
With WALLNICHE you can control the depth of the niche and the angle of the edge I believe.
The curved edge (as with any curve in Archicad) can be just a series of straight segments.
So you could create a series of wallniches to form the curved reveal.

You would also have to control the wallniche in plan view as well.

I am not saying it would be easy but I am pretty sure it could be done.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Lingwisyer
Guru
Would be nice if you could interact with a wall much like you would with a standard poly. Then you would be able to cut holes in whatever shape you want into it.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
DGSketcher
Legend
Another approach...
Form a rectangular opening slightly larger than the finished opening, much as you would have to do with in GDL.
Fill the hole with another wall.
Insert arch top door opening or other shape as required. Hopefully somewhere in the stock library.
Convert the wall to a Morph.
You can now select the edges of the door opening and apply the required chamfer. You can also change the selected edges to "Soft" if required.
Depending on the level of detail required you could work the morph shape back to just applied finishes e.g. plaster thickness.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Bruce
Expert
THAT can be done with the current GDL commands available. Good thinking!
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --