BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Curving Roof Pivot Line

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I am modelling a building with a curved exterior walls and need to put a mono pitched roof on. Ideally I would like to curve the roof pivot line to the curved exterior wall but don't think archicad will allow this. Is there a way of creating a similar effect?

Thanks

Curves roof 1.jpg
19 REPLIES 19
Dwight
Newcomer
What roof direction?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight, I've uploaded a new jpg that will hopefully illustrate my query more clear. Thanks....
Dwight
Newcomer
You'll array an arced series of narrow roof wedges to solve this one.

five segments illustrated
Dwight Atkinson
Karl Ottenstein
As Dwight points out, to model it with the roof tool, you need to create segments with a linear pivot line and then multiply them. In life, you will probably have beams and roofing between them, and so this will mimic the actual construction.

If you need a completely smooth curved roof, you can (?) model it with the wall tool using a complex profile. The profile would be a cross section of the roof, and then use the curved wall geometry to draw the surface.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am surprised that Dwight did not suggest the complex profiled wall
method since he is the complex profiled wall evangelist.

Alternatively, the method suggested in this post might work.
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=10681
Peter Devlin
Dwight
Newcomer
I'm embarrassed. It was the pivot line talk that thru me off.
Dwight Atkinson
Karl Ottenstein
I wouldn't be beat yourself up over it. If this is a roof that will be built, then a smoothly curved surface is highly unlikely - and so sections through the building would more accurately reflect construction with Dwight's original / traditional segmented proposal.

Besides, even the complex profiled wall thing falls apart if the offset of the two curved walls differs, or if one wants the result to behave like a real roof - capable of supporting skylights, or roof accessories such as standing seam metal.

We don't really know what the end goal of the original poster is...

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
What about modelling the required roof form with the mesh tool and then using the mesh-to-roof function?
As Karl has indicated, the type of construction proposed will determine the specific form - any type of framed and clad roof will be segmented to suit the profile of the sheeting.
Dwight
Newcomer
The mesh tool will take longer and accuracy will be difficult.

Archicad's tools work so well for conventional structures because they constrain/extrude well.
Dwight Atkinson
Learn and get certified!