Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Custom Door Panel Materials

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've made a custom door panel. When I select it for one of my doors and try to change the materials, nothing changes. I've also tried changing the materials in the script but the parameters don't show up in the door parameters dialog. What am I doing wrong?
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Custom door/window panels always have the materials with which they are created. I suppose, if you know the name of the parameter in graphisoft's door/window objects for panel materials, then you could add that parameter to the material call outs in your panel object, then you would be able to control it through the door/window tool.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Scott wrote:
Custom door/window panels always have the materials with which they are created. I suppose, if you know the name of the parameter in graphisoft's door/window objects for panel materials, then you could add that parameter to the material call outs in your panel object, then you would be able to control it through the door/window tool.
Just tried that.........didn't work.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well that sucks.... maybe the parameter is not listed in the CALL command for custom panels in the main door object. Again I am just taking an semi-educated guess, obviously I haven't tried this myself. I usually just make my custom panels using a new material called doors-# or something like that, and then just change the material itself as necessary.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Scott wrote:
Well that sucks.... maybe the parameter is not listed in the CALL command for custom panels in the main door object. Again I am just taking an semi-educated guess, obviously I haven't tried this myself. I usually just make my custom panels using a new material called doors-# or something like that, and then just change the material itself as necessary.
I'll look at it some more...I'd like to have one panel that is easy to change materials but for now I only have two custom panels and don't need but maybe one that's painted and one that's wood for each. That's only 4 different panels. No big deal there.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Wrathchild:

As Scott guessed, the materials are not getting passed along through the various macros (Door > dp_door_panels > Door_Panel_Collection > your_door _panel). The only parameters that get through are A, B & ZZYZX (width, height & thickness). You would need to work on the various macros to get the parameters (gs_leaf_mat and gs_li_mat1) to pass through, and I'm not sure if that will work, as the Door_Panel_Collection appears to be dynamic, as it should change as custom door panels are added. It seems as though to pass these through should not be so hard for the developers.

The help file does mention this limitation:
• You should set the attributes (Pen, Material etc.) values of the Custom Component to the desired values prior to saving it. These values will be applied to the component when it is actually used later in the Project.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
JaredBanks
Mentor
Anyone know if this was ever fixed? I some how doubt it.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Matthew Johnson
Advocate
Jared, you are correct. The Door object still only passes the A, B, ZZYZX values to the macro.

With the attribute management between files and versions this make it painful for building a personal library of custom door leafs. I have a collection of custom leafs with various kickplates and signage but I'll have to make a new custom leaf each time I want to change the basic paint colour of the rest of the leaf panel...
Matthew Johnson - POWE Architects
AC4.5 --> AC27 & Revit 2019 --> 2023
Asus Zenbook Pro 16x i9-13900H w/ Nvidia RTX 4070 4K dual, Windows 11 64bit
I'd rather be sailing.
Matthew wrote:
Jared, you are correct. The Door object still only passes the A, B, ZZYZX values to the macro.

With the attribute management between files and versions this make it painful for building a personal library of custom door leafs. I have a collection of custom leafs with various kickplates and signage but I'll have to make a new custom leaf each time I want to change the basic paint colour of the rest of the leaf panel...
couldnt you just open the leaf thats made and change the material parameter of the color you wish to change? then save the object and the door should update its color. unless im missing something this works for me.
JaredBanks
Mentor
yeah editing the GDL is easy, but if you need to change the material on just a few leafs, it still involves duplicating the leaf.

I'm not sure if this is mentioned previously in the thread (i'm being lazy), but when one makes a custom door panel, taking the time to give nicely named IDs to the slabs will make updating the GDL later so much easier.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome