Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Custom Grid Markers for Grid Tool

Anonymous
Not applicable
Anyone know if its possible to add a grid marker type to the Grid Tool? I'm trying to get our office using this tool, but the boss man doesn't want to change our graphic standards. Our current grid bubble is an oval shape, & that's what he wants to stick with.
6 REPLIES 6
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I think you are out of luck here.
When I select a placed Grid Element and go to its Settings Dialog, in its Marker panel I do not see a GDL OBject that can be selected from a list. This means that the geometric capabilities of the Grid Element Marker are hard-wired into ARCHICAD. So only the developers can change it.

You may want to make a wish for this capability.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Mike:

If you select the placed Grid, then use the Open Object... command, the GDL Editor opens for the Standard Grid Marker. I have not tried, but maybe editing and saving this GDL element will allow customization of the Grid Tool.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
David,

The problem is not with the ability of opening the GDL Object, editing it and saving it under a new name.
The problem is that there is no selection field from which you could select this modified GDL Object to be used by the Grid Element. It will always use the one hard-wired into the ARCHICAD.dll file.

If there was a Marker selection field this would be a solution but there is no such field for Grid Elements.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
laszlonagy wrote:
The problem is not with the ability of opening the GDL Object, editing it and saving it under a new name.
Bummer. A better solution would be similar to the Section Tool, where there is a built-in option (so one is always available even if no libraries are loaded) and other Markers can be added.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello, I'm not good with the inglish but i'will try.

a partial solution is open object grid tool in the GDL dialog, an save it out of Archicad ( may be in descktop), then with the active folder window over archicad, drag the object to you active plan, so yo got it! the active marker grid tool is the saved one.

I have made a silly exemple

I tried the above described procedure, but the marker I get is still the default one.