BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Custom Libraries to New AC Versions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everyone,
I am trying to get a consensus on the best strategy for moving custom object libraries from version to version.

Back in 2008 we had a colleague here in our office create a collection of custom library parts for our architecture firm. Whenever a new version of ArchiCAD came out, we went through the lengthy process of opening up each .gsm file in the new version of ArchiCAD, saving, and closing (not "saving as" so we keep the same GUID). In our eyes, this ensured that the object was compatible with the new version, so we weren't trying to insert a v17 object into a v18 project.

Have you had issues with older libraries in newer AC versions? What has been your strategy to bring these objects along over the years?

Have you encountered issues with newer Archicad versions and their ability to read old ArchiCAD objects?

Looking forward to hearing what you have to say!
3 REPLIES 3
Barry Kelly
We have a completely custom library and still have objects dating back to version 6.5 that work perfectly well.
Most of our object have been upgraded over time as we have needed to modify them but still there are many old ones.
In fact I still stript my objects in version 15 just to ensure they are still compatible back to that version.

The only problem I have had is with versions 19 and now 20 in that they have restricted or cancelled the use of some GLOBAL variables and REQUESTs in some scripts (master, parameter and property).
But simply saving in the new versions will not solve these changes - although you should get error messages stating there is a problem.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
you should get error messages stating there is a problem
This is a best logic behind library part transfers. Basically, if it ain't broken — don't fix it.

Library parts should work without any problem from version to version, short of above mentioned changes in Graphisoft's attitude toward GDL in general.

As a general rule, simpler GDL objects will work longer, more complex ones, especially those that rely on some sort of GDL hack, might go out of style rather quickly if the "hack" gets fixed in the new version of GDL.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you both for your input! We are going through our library anyway and may do some coordinating with our GS contact to expand this conversation. Will touch base again with useful info if i get any.
Learn and get certified!