BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Custom Library

Anonymous
Not applicable
We customize everything so the library that comes with ArchiCAD wouldn't be of much use to us. I have a question about how custom objects are created. I understand that if I learn the GDL i can create custom objects that are symbolic in plan and elevation, render in 3d, and can flex parametrically as well as schedule automatically. What happens if I use primitives that are converted to library objects? I understand they won't flex parametrically, but will they schedule and how does the schedule know the width and height of a door or window created this way? Also, is there a way to show symbolic plan and elevation views of these objects created from primitives (like a 90 degree door swing)? Thank you for your time.
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Your question is too generic. Read up on the GDL tutorials, Building Objects Creation - Training Guide, and the GDL Cookbook (available online). Then start with one object. After you begin working on it, you will be able to ask specific questions.

Please indicate your version of AC and OS in your profile under the signature field. You'll get more focused help.

Snap
PS You can make many objects without knowing much GDL: Help >Virtual Building > Parametric Objects > Custom Components. Additionally AC can convert anything you draw into a library part with zero GDL knowledge. That process is available through the library manager. Look through Help for this.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you. Here is an example... the symbolic plan view of doors in the AC library would have to be simplified for our drawings. It looks like I would have to edit the GDL (2D script) to tweak this or any other symbolic plan/elevation view of a library component. I can draw the lines in plan and save them as a custom 2d symbol component, but I can't figure out how to attach that component to say a plumbing object.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Question 1)
Place any door then open the Door Settings.
Open the general settings panel.
Find the 2D Detail Level Settings;
choices range from detailed, down to off.
Try these.

To turn off reveal, look at >parameters >options.
Hopefully this will take care of your need for simple representation.

Question 2)
Document > Document Extras > Create Patch, will create a 2D parametric
object you can place in any 2D view. Do you want this 2D to be a part of your
3D object? And visible where, in 2d only or also in 3D?

Snap
Anonymous
Not applicable
Got it... I can copy the 2d script from the 2d component to the 2d script of the plumbing fixture. Thanks, I see now how the door symbolic plan view can be simplified... still not what we are looking for. I'll probably have to learn how to tweak the GDL for doors. Thanks again.
Anonymous
Not applicable
This standard AC library door isn't simple enough?

Snap
Anonymous
Not applicable
snapcrackle wrote:
Question 1)
Question 2)
Document > Document Extras > Create Patch, will create a 2D parametric
object you can place in any 2D view. Do you want this 2D to be a part of your
3D object? And visible where, in 2d only or also in 3D?
The problem with patch is that the 2d object has a white fill background that blocks out other objects. Can this white field be removed? Thanks.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Not a matter of being simpler, just different. This is a french door with sidelight.
Anonymous
Not applicable
RE: background: Too lazy for words.

Snap
Anonymous
Not applicable
Opaque Background OFF... Thanks.
Learn and get certified!