Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Custom Panel : Surface Override

Ghassan Kanaan
Booster

Hello everyone,

Making a Surface Override for my custom Curtain Wall Panels doesn't work ! ( either at Element level or in Edit Mode ) Any suggestions please ?...Screenshot (22).png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

In the 3D script you will find the call to the "CW_Panel_Collection" object (actually rewritten by Archicad everytime you save a custom component) with some parameters.

This command should be tucked inside its own group ... endgroup.

Then third line is the creategroupwithmaterial command as shown above.

Here for your understanding. Really simple. Just three lines, highlighted in yellow.

You have to consider however that the panel now gets overriden all the time. Another "IF" loop would be necessary to determine if the overriding should take place or not. But that is left as an exercise for the reader 😉

3dscript.png

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

As noted in the setting - it only affects schematic and simplified views. Is your MVO Curtain Wall option for panels set to schematic or simplified?

Ghassan Kanaan
Booster

Thank you..I didn't pay attention to that setting.  It seems that is the reason why the Surface Override is not possible.  (My MVO is set to "Full" )

So in full detailed Curtain Wall it is not possible to make Surface Override for Custom Panels ?

Screenshot (22)_LI.jpg

runxel
Legend

This is a shortcoming and overlook, imho.

I can kinda guess why they have done it that way, but there would have been an easy solution – see below.

Do you have experience in GDL?

Don't worry if not! It's actually very easy to do.

Open the "CW Custom Panel 25" object, scroll down 'til you see the CALL command to the "CW_Panel_Collection" and encapsulate that in a GROUP.

Then lastly just drop a casual `placegroup creategroupwithmaterial("yourgroupnamehere", 2, 0, matPanel)` in there after your new group. BOOM! Done!

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |

Since i don't have any competence in GDL programing.. Can you please explain further more that procedure for me to understand what "encapsulate in a group" means and to know exactly how to execute the next step... Thank you very much.Screenshot (24).png

Solution

In the 3D script you will find the call to the "CW_Panel_Collection" object (actually rewritten by Archicad everytime you save a custom component) with some parameters.

This command should be tucked inside its own group ... endgroup.

Then third line is the creategroupwithmaterial command as shown above.

Here for your understanding. Really simple. Just three lines, highlighted in yellow.

You have to consider however that the panel now gets overriden all the time. Another "IF" loop would be necessary to determine if the overriding should take place or not. But that is left as an exercise for the reader 😉

3dscript.png

Thank you very much. I am gonna try this

I tried it and it worked ! This was very useful 👍 ...Thank you