Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Custom Railing

rgarand
Booster
I have been playing around with the new Railing Object and have figured out the Top Rail, Bottom Rail and I was able to eliminate the posts, but I am stuck on the balusters. I am trying to replicate the railing in the attached image.

Any thoughts?
Robert J. Garand
ArchiCAD USA 27-Build 5001 USA FULL
Windows 10 Prof (64 bit) - Intel i9-10920X CPU 3.50 GHz - 128 GB RAM - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly
Model the baluster in 3D with a slab to the desired shape.
Stand it up (morph it to be able to free rotate) and place at the project origin or place the user origin at the base.
You will want the bulge to be along the X-axis I think.

Now save this as a custom railing post object ... File menu > Libraries and Objects > Save Selection as… > Railing Post

It should now be available in your railing object as a custom baluster.

I am not sure if you can do something similar for the post on the corner to get the scroll at 45°.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
rgarand
Booster
See below...
Robert J. Garand
Windows 10 Prof (64 bit) - Intel i9-10920X CPU 3.50 GHz - 128 GB RAM - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000
rgarand
Booster
Thanks for the input Barry. I was talking with Link Ellis this morning and he suggested the same and walked me through the process.

I was able to create a custom "post" and get it to work with the railing object. However, you can see in the screenshot, the corner post would need to be a custom post as well, which I did try, but was not able to rotate the corner post in the plan by 45 degrees.

I think this will work for my model since this is only showing something already built.

Thanks for your input!
Robert J. Garand
Barry Kelly
Excellent.
I assume the same can be done for the corner post but I haven't tried it myself.
Worst case scenario you will have a modelled corner post that you can place manually rather than through the railing tool.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11