Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Custom-Shaped Window and Library Part Maker

Dalius
Enthusiast

Library-Part-Maker.jpg

How to make a wall hole follow the outline of a custom-shaped window using the Library Part Maker (LPM) add-on?  I cannot find such an explanation in the Library Part Maker 25 User Guide:  https://help.graphisoft.com/AC/25/INT/LPM.pdf

Dalius Regelskis
AC user since version 6.0
http://archicad-pamokos.lt
16 REPLIES 16

Hi,
well, it's a bit of a pity that another interesting tool but unfortunately with a big drawback. 
Maybe in this case there is at least the possibility to skip when saving Window the hole that always gets rectangular? It would then be possible to replace it manually in the script or with the Opening Tool?
best
Rafał

MacBook Pro Retina 2019/2.4 GHz/Intel Core i9/32GB RAM/Radeon Pro 5500M 4GB/macOS 11.6/ArchiCAD 25vINT+POL/Maxwell Render 5.2/Twinmotion 2022.1

Wallhole always does the trick. 😆

In the end what is your Objective?
ArchiCAD 9 onwards

Try combining the Wallhole command with the LPM window 😁.
Best

MacBook Pro Retina 2019/2.4 GHz/Intel Core i9/32GB RAM/Radeon Pro 5500M 4GB/macOS 11.6/ArchiCAD 25vINT+POL/Maxwell Render 5.2/Twinmotion 2022.1

to explain why it is not that easy: current LPM creates attributes, geometry and properties code that is then "injected" into a door and/or window GDL object templates that carry all supporting "envelope" code including reveals, UI script, MVO logic etc... so, we would have to "test" the wall hole shape first and than conditionally "branch" the template code accordingly. That test requires a proper algorithmic analysis that could deal virtually with an infinite number of possibilities. Given the wall hole possible complexity it is a very difficult task and maybe it is not solvable with the current approach, which would then require a complete re-think of LPM's internal logic and thus blowing up the development time/resources to unpredictable proportions. And this is very difficult to justify at the commercial level. That's why I said that it is not really a trivial task.

::rk
Lingwisyer
Guru

Maybe if there was some way for a user to define edge type when using LPM? So you would basically have all the answers to the "test" before you even start?

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Hmooslechner
Rockstar

You know this part?

https://bimcomponents.com/GSM/Details/21360 

read the description, look at the Youtube-link. drag it into Archicad. I've made it some years ago - so its a little primitiv, Just draw the opening-lines yourself...

Another try: 

also: read the description

AC5.5-AC27EduAut, PC-Win10, MacbookAirM1, MacbookM1Max, Win-I7+Nvidia

With all due respect it doesn't make sense. Graphisoft is the company that provided the add-on in the first place, so it might as well invest into finishing it up. It would be and could be immensely useful. Although it would bother many 3rd party developers... That I get. 

Archicad 26 INT / Ryzen 3900x, 2080Ti, 64GB RAM / M1 MacBook Pro