Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Custom Timber Cladding Profile

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I was wondering if there is a relatively simple way to create an object for a cladding profile that would wrap around buildings.
I looked over some tutorials for how to create an object, but didn't find anything about how to create one that as you stretch the element, it keeps adding elements to fill in the space, just like a timber cladding would do.

Below is an image for an example of a cladding profile viewed from the top. What I am looking after is something that could keep adding such elements as you drag the points at the end.

Adding walls/slabs for all of the timber within the cladding makes the model load slower and makes hard to change anything, given you end up with so many elements grouped together.

Thank you very much for your time,
Gabriel.
5 REPLIES 5
Lingwisyer
Guru
There is an object by Heimo Mooslechner that does this reasonably well.

It's in German though...

Using profiles will not solve your performance issue as you are still creating hundreds of polygons... it does become easier to edit though.

The question is, do you really need such a level of detail across your entire model? Can you make do with a custom linetype and a texture with a displacement map, then just draw the extra details for the few drawings that require it? Maybe instead look for an similar solution to duplicate a 2D shape?

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ling

Messing around with this accessory, i can not get the accessory to recognize window and door openings, do you know which boolean has to be checked or what i am doing wrong.

Thanks

Dan
Stress Co_
Advisor
Another option (with a fee).

https://centralinnovation.com/archicad/extensions/cadimage-coverings/

There is a free trial.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Barry Kelly
DanSyl wrote:
Ling

Messing around with this accessory, i can not get the accessory to recognize window and door openings, do you know which boolean has to be checked or what i am doing wrong.

Thanks

Dan
Are you selecting the wall and then applying the accessory through the menus?
It should recognise doors and windows automatically.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
MrC
Advocate
Hi Gabriel
have you tried this object from On Land? https://www.onland.info/archives/2008/05/battens_jm11.php
ILIFFE ARCHITECTURAL

BRITISH COLUMBIA

macbook pro 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

AC 21 USA (latest build)