BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Custom Wall Profiles and Door Casing

genarch
Enthusiast
I have created a simple custom wall profile that includes a baseboard, however when a door is inserted in the wall, the door casing rests on the baseboard, not on the wall as it should. This creates a gap between the casing and the wall. In the plan view it looks like the casing is on the wall, but in 3D it is not. I have defined the wall boards as "Finish" and the baseboard as both "Finish" and "Other" but neither had the desired effect. I have also checked the box to set the opening reference line, and I placed those lines flush with the wall board, but that doesn't seem to work.

The wall closure settings for the door are for "stud wall". I tried changing to "stud wall with siding" and this corrected the casing behavior for one side of the wall, but not the other.

Anyone have any tips?
Mac OSX 13.6.5

AC27&26, Artlantis 2020, TwinMotion

iMac Pro 2017 / 8-core 3.2 GHz / 32GB RAM
6 REPLIES 6
Dave Seabury
Advocate
genarch,

I don't know if this will solve your problem, but i had a similar issue
once. when you go to place the door in the wall, check what "anchor"
you are using. (it is located directly below the preview picture in the door settings window. If "sill to wall base" is selected, then the base trim is
considered part of the wall. try using "header to story 1" which will read
the thickness of the wall at the header.

Hope that helps

David
AC 19-24 Windows 10 64 bit, Dell Prercision 7820, Xeon Silver 2414R ( 12 Cores), 64 GB Ram, Quadro RTX 4000 8GB
genarch
Enthusiast
Thanks, Dave, that did the trick. I never would have guessed and had given up on the baseboard profile wall.
Mac OSX 13.6.5

AC27&26, Artlantis 2020, TwinMotion

iMac Pro 2017 / 8-core 3.2 GHz / 32GB RAM
Barry Kelly
Genarch,
Sounds like you may not have set your opening reference line position in the complex profile.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Karl Ottenstein
Barry wrote:
Genarch,
Sounds like you may not have set your opening reference line position in the complex profile.
Barry.
Sadly, the opening reference line does not do what one expects. There are more bugs than I can count related to these lines not doing what the user expects (and wants). They are read one way by the code that generates casing/trim and another way by the code that generates jams.

Dave's answer is the only solution still - how many years after profiles were first introduced (!) - the anchor "reads" the insertion point surface for the casing. If there is base trim, the anchor must be the header to keep the casing from floating flush with the outside face of the base trim, even though it is not how one may want to represent the door / window. If there is some kind of moulding above that touches the header also, then you're just [actual word deleted] out of luck. Such is the case with insertion of windows/doors in profiled log walls.

Personally, I'm almost ready to give up on CP walls because GS just doesn't seem interested in paying the attention required to getting windows/doors to work properly with them - much less getting rid of window/door bugs in general.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
PS Barry, my negatory comments and genarch's and Dave's experience are all with the US library. Maybe none of the problems we have here exist in other localized libraries, such as AUS? Or, do you use Door/Window Builder instead of the GS library parts?
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Barry Kelly
No we use our own custom doors and windows.
Nowhere near as complicated as the GS ones with all their macro calling.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!