BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Custom Window - Turn Plaster

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there an easy way to create a custom window that still has the turn plaster functionality? It seems there are layers and layers of macros that achieve this with standard windows, however the standard windows cannot be customized enough to fit my needs. Thanks!

edited to include:
Perhaps I should clarify: when I say custom window, I mean in the same vein as what is described here: http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/tips/how-to-create-custom-window/ There seems to be nothing there about the plaster turn, and I have found nothing else online about creating custom windows.

*I am very new to GDL, although I have a small amount of experience with some other coding languages.
4 REPLIES 4
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
The answer is no.
You would have to script the "Turn Plaster" functionality.
There is another way: take a Window in the ARCHICAD Default Library and remove what is not needed, keep the Turn Plaster. (However, Windows are some of the most complex GDL objects, with lots of Macros, so it is not for the faint of heart - but I don't want to discourage you).
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
That's what I was afraid of.

I am coming from Revit, but my office is totally bought into AC (although no one is exactly an expert). It is pretty disheartening that we can't get windows to work even close to the way we need them to, and there is no way to customize them outside of the already built objects.

The office is pretty reluctant to spend money on additional software, but we probably need to look into the cadimage Window builder tool.

Thanks for the reply Laszlo, I will be here often with questions if I decide it is worth spending the time trying to build a custom window!
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
On the other side, if you delve deeper into GDL you will find that it is capable of a lot more than Revit Families.
Small file sizes, very flexible, a lot more parameters, ability to create custom graphical user interfaces, ability to lock/hide parameters based on value of other parameters, dynamic arrays, file I/O operations, value lists, global variables, etc., etc.

GDL is pretty powerful.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes of course - and I don't mean to start the comparison game, that is covered plenty elsewhere! I shouldn't have even said the R word.

I was mainly meaning that we/I am locked into AC for the foreseeable future, so I am very interested in finding solutions that work!

At the risk of veering off topic, I understand the potential in GDL, however, it seems to me to have such a high learning curve to be essentially unusable by the architecture community. It seems/feels like trying to use some sort of advanced robot to hang a picture frame. Sure it is extremely powerful, but all I need is to be able to pick up a hammer and drive in one nail. I don't need powerful, I need easy to use.

I personally would love to spend the time learning GDL, but my employer is not going to pay for that ability. Even if it was a financial option, most architects are not willing/enthused about learning to write code. It is challenging enough getting people to use AC or (gasp!) upgrade to a new software. At least in my limited experience. ...this is a discussion I would love to continue, but perhaps not in my window question!

...back to windows, for now, we are going to find the windows that we can best match our needs, and use 2D drafting where necessary to "fix" them. And probably live with some graphic quirks in some places. We will also be looking into the Cadimage stuff as I mentioned.

Thanks again Laszlo!
Learn and get certified!