BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Custom Window

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm clearly missing a step in the process of creating and inserting a custom window into a brick veneer wall.

After placing the custom window in the wall, the materials that make up the composite wall (brick/air gap/timber framing) are showing in the wall hole of the window. I was hoping that the wall hole would take on the surface of the exterior wall (or interior wall depending on placement) for a clean finish.

In the image provided the window also shows that it's frame is set behind the 10mm interior plasterboard rather than sitting flush with the plasterboard.

The steps I have followed are:

1. Create frame with the slab tool to desired thickness and shape.

2. Use subtract polygon to create space for glazed area.

3. Cover the subtracted area with a second slab (Material = glass) to the desired thickness.

4. Cover the entire window shape with a third slab that follows the form of the outer edge of the frame. Open the properties of this slab, and change the ID to ‘wallhole’.

5. Select all 3 modelled slabs, save the selection as a window.

6. Insert window into the wall.

What do I need to do to fix this? Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4
Karl Ottenstein
With a custom window (or door), you must model everything. You have the window frame - but did not model the jambs/sill to cover up the wall cavity...and any (as you decide) interior/exterior trim.

Typically, I would recommend using tiny walls for the frame vs cutting a hole in a slab... then you have parametric control over the frame thickness.

At this point, I would just model the jambs with tiny thin walls, sufficiently tall to match the wall cavity between the frame and exterior wall surface.

If this is really just a wide rectangle, as in your screenshot, I'm not sure why you're creating a custom (non parametric) window though? Maybe the screenshot is just to illustrate the problem for us?

Cheers,
Karl

PS I should add that the old tutorials on creating custom windows were written before AC had the ability to show the skins, including air gaps, of composites as in your screenshot, so didn't address what you're encountering.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Great, thanks for the tips Karl. The perspective of the screenshot is deceiving. It's actually a trapezoid.

Kieran
Karl Ottenstein
Glad that helped.

Can see the trapezoid now. 😉 If it is really a trapezoid you need, there is a standard trapezoid window. Search for it in the windows setting dialog to download if not in your AUS library. The advantage of standard parts of course is that they provide all kinds of parametric behavior, particularly wall closure options.

Cheers,
Karl
Screen Shot 2017-06-24 at 5.35.47 PM.jpg
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks again Karl, trapezoid window was in my library. Not sure how I missed that one . Anyhow, the information you provided will be useful for future reference.

Cheers,
Kieran
Learn and get certified!