Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Custom brick facade

Miona
Participant

Hi, I would like to create a custom facade wall made out of bricks that looks like the attached image, could you give me any suggestions how could I do it? Thank you in advance! 

Screenshot 2022-05-16 001547.png
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

You could also model the unit that is repeating (3+1 bricks). You could model them using Slabs or Walls or Columns or Beams, save it as a Library Part, then place many instances as needed. You may have issues at the Wall ends though because of the shifting of the unit at different levels. For that, you could actually save multiple versions of the Unit as Library Parts to account for all 4 possible Wall End scenarios.

You could also model such a unit using Multi-segment Beams and place those.

You might even be able to model them using the Railing Tool, you would just have to define the repeating pattern properly.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

There are various ways. I would create a new layer with a different intersection priority number and either use pieces of wall of pieces of slab to create the elements. I’ve done it this way for vertical rockpanel cladding in various colours and also for projecting header brick detailing. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.1.1
macOS Sonoma (14.2)
Barry Kelly

A similar (although recessed) problem was discussed here just the other day.

Similar solutions will apply - you just won have to subtract with Solid Element Operation.

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Design-forum/Best-way-to-ceate-a-3D-pattern-on-concrete/m-p/3380...

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Noemi Balogh
Community Admin
Community Admin

You can even try to achieve something similar with the Curtain Wall tool. If you need it on small scale, this is the easiest to handle, though, on large scale it can slow down your work.

Noémi Balogh

Community Expert, Admin

Solution
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

You could also model the unit that is repeating (3+1 bricks). You could model them using Slabs or Walls or Columns or Beams, save it as a Library Part, then place many instances as needed. You may have issues at the Wall ends though because of the shifting of the unit at different levels. For that, you could actually save multiple versions of the Unit as Library Parts to account for all 4 possible Wall End scenarios.

You could also model such a unit using Multi-segment Beams and place those.

You might even be able to model them using the Railing Tool, you would just have to define the repeating pattern properly.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Thank you very much for plenty suggestions, it worked using walls modelled as 3+1 pattern and then saved as a Library object, and then I placed a lot of instances. In the meantime, I tried creating the same thing using curtain wall tool, and I managed as well, but since there are so many instances, both Library objects of 3+1 wall tools and Curtain wall tools, the project is running really slow, I can barely navigate. I placed them on a separate layers so I turn off the layers when I don't need them to show while I'm working on something else, but I am wondering how to reduce the size of the file, since I am afraid this will cause serious problems to my computer which is not so strong. Should I save the whole facade that I created with those two tools as one Library object? Would that reduce the size of the file? Thank you in advance!