Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Custom door components on pc

Richard Swann
Contributor
Hi,
I have a problem which needs a quick fix please..
I have produced a powerpoint presentation for teaching students tomorrow how to use custom door components in AC11. I checked previous postings on Architalk and the Archiguide and all worked well on my Powerbook. I sent it to a colleague at the university who has followed the instructions on a Dell.
The custom component is saved to a library folder that is loaded. All saved ok but when trying to use the door panel in a door although it shows up in the pulldown list, the preview and 3D window show an empty frame.
The process has been repeated several times, libraries reloaded etc, still no show..
Any suggestions gratefully received. Is there an issue with previous builds of AC11?
Richard Swann
Mac OS X 10.11.4 , 27" Imac 4k ArchiCAD 4.5-20
5 REPLIES 5
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Have you seen this (and referenced) post?
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Richard Swann
Contributor
Laura wrote:
Have you seen this (and referenced) post?
Yes thanks, seen the previous posts but it wasn't quite the same problem, the parts didn't disapear from the library after reloading.
For anyone else with this problem the solution we found is:
If the custom door does not appear in the preview, close the door settings. Reopen the door settings and select a different door panel. THEN select custom panel and it appears.- seems to be a problem fully clearing settings or memory on pc.

Simple when you know, but should be fixed.

Also why didn't Graphisoft include the custom components containers in the AC11Library? Perhaps they didn't manage to fix this in the annual rush to release.
Custom components should be given more emphasis especially as students, who can choose rival software, see the 'folksy' standard library parts in AC as indicative of boring software for boring buildings.
Richard Swann
Richard Swann
Contributor
Well- It worked once but now we have the same problem as the recent posting about disappearing custom components so we had to pull this from the lecture. This feature is too buggy to use.
I also discovered that the original University AC11 library does have the custom macro containers, so I suppose GS removed it from the AC11 hotfix library, as it isn't in either the commercial or student INT versions now. I can only guess what would have happened if I had used this feature with the first build of AC11 library only to find it stopped working with the hotfix library. This is a real mess GS. If you can't support your own AC features within a single release then maybe you've stretched the features too thin and should just concentrate on essential features that work well! (like the good old days!)
Richard Swann
Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Richard,

The Library Hotfixes are not full libraries, but include only parts of the original library that have changed. As the Release Notes describe, the content of the Hotfix folder has to be copied into the ArchiCAD Library 11 folder. Not the whole ArchiCAD Library 11 folder has to be replaced by the downloaded folder. If you do that, you might loose parts of the library, including the "Custom Object Macros 11" folder which is necessary for custom components to function properly. Could this be the root of the problem?
Gergely Kmethy
VP, Customer Success, Graphisoft
Richard Swann
Contributor
gkmethy wrote:
Richard,

Could this be the root of the problem?
No, the bug is in the ArchiCAD 11 Library with the custom components. I got it to work fine on a mac using the AC10 custom components on an AC11 project.
The Library Hotfixes are not full libraries, but include only parts of the original library that have changed.

My mistake, but surely as it's a container file lcf , and also includes folders for Lightworks and textures, ie pretty much everything except the custom component containers. So am I right in thinking from your response that the textures have been modified in some way?, and as the majority of the library is a container file I assume it contains parts that haven't been updated?
Surely a new full replacement library would be easier to update.
Richard Swann